FORUMS: list search recent posts

Noise in HVX Image... Settings?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeffrey fitzgerald
Noise in HVX Image... Settings?
on Feb 16, 2010 at 1:30:28 am

I am doing some green screen shooting with an HVX and there is some noticable noise in the picture. The picture looks soft with faint artifacting motion in the picture. I know the key controls need some tweaking, but I see some in the source too.

Is there a best profile, setting, video format for this kind of use? What have you had the most success with?

Here's a link to a test file split with the key and source. Its 160MB and is in full HD format (5 seconds).

http://www.jlfx.com/downloads

Im wondering if Im just beginning to notice the age of the camera quality with all the great new gear out now... thanks.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Noise in HVX Image... Settings?
on Feb 16, 2010 at 4:05:12 am

Are you lighting the shot sufficiently and not using gain? A waveform monitor is especially critical for proper exposure on a green screen. Hard to make the screen 'too bright.'

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Visit my Editors Blog- Tips and Gear for Editors.

Return to posts index

jeffrey fitzgerald
on Feb 16, 2010 at 1:57:02 pm

Thanks Noah, there is no gain used, but that;s kind of what it looks like to me. Was even wondering if the sensor is may be fading or some something...

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 16, 2010 at 5:28:52 pm

Hard to tell from a compressed QT but it looks like your keyer isn't doing you any favors with noise. What are you using to key?

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Visit my Editors Blog- Tips and Gear for Editors.

Return to posts index

jeffrey fitzgerald
on Feb 17, 2010 at 4:05:32 am

I am using After Effects and Keylight. Aside from the the more obvious, is there a way I reset the cam settings, and is there a firmware upgrade that may be of value?

Return to posts index

jeffrey fitzgerald
on Feb 17, 2010 at 10:53:50 pm

I've also posted a short clip from the HD source that shows the softness/noise in something shot yesterday. Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated...

Return to posts index

jeffrey fitzgerald
on Feb 17, 2010 at 10:54:21 pm

http://www.jlfx.com/downloads

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Feb 18, 2010 at 5:01:04 am

What gamma mode are you using?

I asked for best settings a couple of weeks ago and received great advice, I also made some tests, but with an HPX-170. The two Cinelike gamma modes were the noisiest, B.press was the one with the lowest amount of noise.

Detail level can change the way you see noise in your images. There are different controls for it: the detail level, vertical detail level and the core detail. Test lowering your detail and vertical detail a little. You can have a high detail level if you want a crispy image, but then you need a positive number in the detail core. The core is like a threshold value for the detail to show up.

My tests were not for green screen, but I liked a detail level of +3 with the detail core of +2. Vertical detail on +2. I use those settings now as a starting point, but you should do your own tests (my camera is different). The light on your footage looks fine to me, so check if you're using a Cinelike gamma mode and change it to normal or b.press.

Keylight have an option for softening the edges of the mask, if I remember well it's called "edge softness". A value of 1 or 2 can improve the look of the key by softening the jags of a noisy image.

I hope this helps.

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]