FORUMS: list search recent posts

Offload P2 footage to FCP

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Chang
Offload P2 footage to FCP
on Feb 14, 2010 at 8:47:40 am

Hi,

I've just bought the HVX200A with a 64GB E-series P2 card. I shot some footage in 1080i24P mode. I have connected the camera to my MacBook Pro via a firewire cable, and I have changed the capture setting in FCP. The software does not pick up on my camera. I am sure I am missing a bunch of vital steps, but I am not sure what I could have done wrong.

I have installed the driver and everyting. I realize this newbie question may annoy some of you; therefore, I must apologize in advance for my lack of IQ. Any help would be greately appreciated.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Offload P2 footage to FCP
on Feb 14, 2010 at 3:19:50 pm

I'm not that familiar with that camera, but I believe it has to be set to FW mode (or iLink, etc.) for it to appear. Check the manual to be sure.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci S.O.A.
on Feb 14, 2010 at 4:42:14 pm

Make sure the Camera is set to Firewire mode not USB (refer to manual page 83).

Than go to clip view mode, than hold down MCR button for 2 seconds to go to external connection mode (Page 84).

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasoni..._AG-HVX200.pdf

Emre Tufekci
http://www.productionpit.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 14, 2010 at 5:51:26 pm

You also have to have the P2 card drivers installed for your comptuer to see the card.

http://www.panasonic.com/P2

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 14, 2010 at 6:49:29 pm

Also remember you're not linearly capturing via log and capture over firewire- you're just logging and transferring. You should see the camera's P2 card on your desktop if it's mounting properly. And from there you could and should copy the P2 image in its entirety to one of your hard drives as your master backup. Then log and transfer from that image. And when everything looks good in FCP, then you can start thinking about reusing that P2 card.

Personally I'd grab at least a couple more cards- 32GB or even 16GB and a reader. Otherwise your workflow will be severely restricted. Once that 64GB fills you won't be able to do anything until you've copied and transferred- as much as an hour or more of downtime...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Visit my Editors Blog- Tips and Gear for Editors.

Return to posts index

Sai Ggg
on Mar 5, 2010 at 4:34:26 am

I am at a complete lost. I recently purchased a hvx-200p from ebay. I have 3 16GB R-series cards P2 cards. I am using a current iMac 21.5" on Snow Leopard. I downloaded all of the drivers, as recommended. I tried to use the Log and Capture, and the Log and Transfer options. When i press "play" in FCP, my camera begins playing the clip(s) but all i see are COLOR BARS in FCP.

I have downloaded and installed all of the recommended drivers listed on this page link: http://www.panasonic.com/business/provideo/p2-hd/downloads-and-updates.asp

I am connecting through firewire (or trying to atleast). When i connect, my system does not notice the P2card (from my understanding my mac should see the P2Cards when i connect my w/ my firewire). And finally, the P2CMS software does not detect any clips at all when i open the program.

It's been 2 days and i'm battling with this, please please please help!

thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Jason Chang
on Feb 15, 2010 at 7:29:02 am

Thanks for the reply. I transfered the folder to my hard drive via a USB 2.0 cable. After downloading a plug-in called Calibrated, I am now able to view the HD footage by opening Quick Time Player. When I went to Final Cut Pro and clicked on "import", the drop-down menu does not display a "Panasonic P2" option. What am I missing here?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 15, 2010 at 10:39:14 pm

How about File>Log and Transfer....

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Visit my Editors Blog- Tips and Gear for Editors.

Return to posts index

Sofia Santana
Making Dubs of p2 footage
on Mar 9, 2010 at 7:19:54 pm

Hello!

It's my first time coordinating post with p2 footage and i was wondering if folks had suggestions/ links to workflows of how to create DVD's for the producer/director to screen using the P2 files. I am not an editor so if there is a way to create a DVD without having to get too FCP heavy that would be awesome.

Thanks so much,
Sofia

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Making Dubs of p2 footage
on Mar 9, 2010 at 8:34:21 pm

Next time, please start a NEW thread when beginning a new topic.

Do they need DVDs? Can they have small QT files instead? If they need DVDs, the only way you can make them is to either play out of the camera to a DVD recorder, or play out of FCP to a DVD recorder (via a capture card), or to author a DVD in FCP.

But if they will take QT files, then you can use ProxyMill from http://www.imagineproducts.com. It makes those small QT files in the background as you offload footage. Or you can have it make QTs from already ingested footage by targetting the Capture Scratch folder. And it will add timecode to those files automatically.

Really handy.

But if they want a DVD, that will require using the camera or FCP, and lost time on either option.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]