FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVC-INTRA - Cutting in Premiere Pro CS4

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Howe
AVC-INTRA - Cutting in Premiere Pro CS4
on Feb 10, 2010 at 11:38:09 pm

Hi fellow Bovines

We are looking to shoot our next show in AVC-INTRA, as opposed to DVCPRO-HD, as we feel the quality for the footage long term, will be better for archiving. We are in Panic mode though. Our new 2700 is on the way, our shoot schedule is looming, and we have to make a call ASAP.

Currently our edit suites are getting a little long in the tooth, and have discovered that AVCI struggles to play back with the blackmagic card in Premiere CS4. The CPU is maxed out on occasion.

I know the reccomended specs for cutting this format, but it is a little dated. So, my question to you is....Is there anybody out there cutting ACVI in premiere? If so...what kind of hardware are you running? And how is it performing?

Thanks

Brett

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: AVC-INTRA - Cutting in Premiere Pro CS4
on Feb 11, 2010 at 5:26:51 pm

What system are you running? A newish Mac Pro shouldn't be dropping frames with AVC-Intra.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Visit my Editors Store- Gifts and Gadgets for Editors.

Return to posts index

Brett Howe
on Feb 12, 2010 at 1:05:39 am

Hi Noah

Thanks for the quick reply. Maybe I didn't mention it, we are windows based here. Not a mac in sight....well maybe an really old G4 in a corner somewhere.

We have some quad core machines running CS4 32 bit OS. We are in the process of going to 64 bit, to open up more RAM.

I was hoping for some insight from any PC Premiere CS4 users who had experience with the format.

Just trying to establish if we can...

A./muddle through for a while with the quad cores at 64bit & more RAM

B./Go for a couple of i7 based workstations at 64bit.

C./Chuck the $$ at a beefy Dual CPU XEON to get the benefit of AVC-INTRA.

I don't like the idea of C...I'd rather have two guys cutting at once on two lower spec boxes, rather than one guy on a killer box. Geez, now I'm sounding like an accountant! Sorry.

Brett Howe
Creative Director / Producer
Brave Vision Pty Ltd

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 12, 2010 at 3:01:26 am

I'd ask on a Premiere forum not the P2 forum- much more likely to get experienced responses. I'd have to guess it's a configuration issue. AVC-Intra is processor intensive sure. But I've seen CS4 play back native REDCODE without major issues which is way more bandwidth so I'm surprised to hear of major issues here.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Visit my Editors Blog- Tips and Gear for Editors.

Return to posts index

Brett Howe
on Feb 12, 2010 at 3:13:27 am

Thanks Noah

I've posted in the Premeiere forum already. In the meantime, We'll beef up a machine here and test it out.

I appreciate your input.

Cheers

Brett

Brett Howe
Creative Director / Producer
Brave Vision Pty Ltd

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]