FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 corrupt clip while shooting

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Dingess
P2 corrupt clip while shooting
on Feb 4, 2010 at 9:46:01 pm

Hi- I'm new to the forum, but hope someone can help or has had this problem.
I am doing a three day shoot in studio. Not much camera movement. We are shooting 1080i and using 16GB P2 cards on a HVX200 camera.
Four times - randomly, (but it seems to be time related), the clip will stop and immediately start anew. When we later take the card out of the camera and put it in try to download through our PB to an external Lacie hard drive, the second clip is fine, but the first one shows as being corrupt.
It seems to split at around 4:55.

The first time it happened, we brought the camera to our edit suite and we could get the clip to come in using P2 Log and see it as a Quicktime file. At the very end of the clip right before it stops, it sorta skips and stutters and then stops. Then you can see that the next clip, when opened, starts right at that point. Problem is, it happened right in the middle of a statement by our talent and is unusable. Also, that quicktime can't be converted like it is. if I try to put it into Compressor or Episode, I get an error message.

I can put it into FCP and then trim the problem areas at the end of the clip and export it as a Quicktime and then it will convert to almost anything.
This seems to be a camera problem, but we can't figure out why. In each case, it has just happened without us knowing until we check the footage later. We are now checking the entire clips after each take to make sure of no breaks etc... and trying to keep everything under 4 minutes. We have used this camera and cards for much longer continuous clips before with no problems. We are kinda stumped.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. Sorry for the length of this post.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge
Dan Dingess

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: P2 corrupt clip while shooting
on Feb 5, 2010 at 12:24:53 am

If it is always happening at the same time it might also be an issue with the cards, Is it always the same card or will the camera do it on different cards?

Return to posts index

Daniel Dingess
on Feb 5, 2010 at 6:52:06 am

Thanks Michael. It has been on two cards at random times. It only happens on the 16 GB cards and not our 32GB cards. Still searching for answers on this one. Thanks.

Dan Dingess

Return to posts index

Paul Brubacher
on Feb 5, 2010 at 2:39:04 am

Can you play the clip in P2 Viewer? Is the clip spanning the cards?

Return to posts index

Daniel Dingess
on Feb 5, 2010 at 10:25:58 pm

Hi Paul-
Yes, I can see it in P2 Viewer and No it is not spanning the cards.
Any other ideas. We figured out some work arounds as I detailed
in the first post, but I would really like to understand what is happening.
I think our next step is to start doing some tests after reformatting the
cards to see if the problem persists.
Thanks,
Dan

Dan Dingess

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]