FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will 1/24 shutter, in 24p, maintain sharpness or smear? Gain?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Isaac Brillant
Will 1/24 shutter, in 24p, maintain sharpness or smear? Gain?
on Feb 3, 2010 at 3:26:08 pm

Hi

I'm shooting some interviews in relatively low light. I'll probably need to shoot at a 1/24 shutter speed (shooting in 24p) to get enough light. Am I safe doing that or will I get movement blur when I pan or when people move their hands around etc?

When I shoot in Normal shutter speed I can't get enough exposure without using gain.

If 1/24 does introduce some blur, what do you think would result in a harper image - 1/24 shutter or "Normal" but with 3db gain?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
Re: Will 1/24 shutter, in 24p, maintain sharpness or smear? Gain?
on Feb 3, 2010 at 3:44:41 pm

1/24th will be quite blurry with any movement. You don't say which camera you are shooting with. The HPX170 is fine at 3dB of gain, the HVX200, borderline since it is inherently a noisier camera.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Isaac Brillant
on Feb 3, 2010 at 4:24:14 pm

Hi,

I'm using the HPX170...

I'm attaching a sample of what I shot the other day in 1/24... it does seem a little blurry. So I'll try the gain instead...

Rather than using the Normal shutter speed, would I be better off using 180 degrees?

Thanks!

http://reels.creativecow.net/film/test2

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 3, 2010 at 4:41:25 pm

I'd suggest an on-camera light for fill. Even a 100 watt LED type light will make all the difference in the world. Or walk in your studio lights until they're right on the edge of the frame. You don't want to shoot at 1/24 and you don't want to pump up excessive grain- that makes a shot look less nice.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D,
Apple Tablet Blog.

Return to posts index

Isaac Brillant
on Feb 3, 2010 at 4:46:34 pm

I was using a 500 watt lowell Omni light, off camera left, bounced off an umbrella... and it wasn't even that far from the subject - maybe 10 feet. Iris wide open. I just couldn't seem to get enough exposure w/o going to 1/24...

So is 3db of gain noticeable on the HPX170?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 3, 2010 at 4:54:02 pm

It's decent but if you are using a 500 watt light on a subject and still need to go wide open then that light is too far away. I'd walk it in and punch it through diffusion rather than bounce. And add a fill light- you need to see dots in the eyes of your subjects not shadows.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D,
Apple Tablet Blog.

Return to posts index

Isaac Brillant
on Feb 3, 2010 at 5:19:35 pm

Thanks - I'm gonna do that. Totally hear you about the eyes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]