FORUMS: list search recent posts

am I locked into Final Cut Pro if I used it to import video?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Goldblum
am I locked into Final Cut Pro if I used it to import video?
on Jan 24, 2010 at 1:04:33 am

I have some video that needs to mailed to another studio. I normally use Final Cut Pro and use the Log and Transfer function, which creates a quicktime movie on my hard drive. If I put that quicktime movie on an external hard drive and mail it to them, will they be able to open/play it if they are not using Final Cut Pro?

Thanks!

Gary

Thanks!

Gary

Return to posts index

Craig Swanson
Re: am I locked into Final Cut Pro if I used it to import video?
on Jan 24, 2010 at 1:45:22 am

I'd find out what they use exactly. I'm not positive but final cut comes with codecs to play certain quicktimes. So if they don't have fcp then the codecs may not be on their machine to even view the qt. If they know how to work with the native p2 structure and are using avid or adobe then it's probably better to send the native p2. Someone else with a bit more knowledge should confirm or oppose as I'm pretty new to this workflow.

Craig Swanson

Macbook Pro 17
2.6 ghz
4 gigs ram
GeForce 8600 GT 512 mb
HD One 8 drive Raid 5
QT 7.6.3 / QT 10.0
FCP 7

Return to posts index

Gary Goldblum
on Jan 24, 2010 at 1:55:55 am

How do you import native P2 onto a drive? Can I just drop and drag? I've only used the other method.

Thanks,

Gary

Thanks!

Gary

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 24, 2010 at 2:11:26 am

[Gary Goldblum] "How do you import native P2 onto a drive?"

You back up the entire contents of the P2 card. You should be doing this anyway. Make folders, give them unique names, and copy the CONTENTS and LASTCLIP file into that folder. For every card. This is what you should be sending people...so that they can work with the footage in whatever application they are using.

You have ONLY used LOG and Transfer? You haven't kept the entire card structure? Just to be snarky, but do you throw away your tapes after you capture them too? You need to archive the original structure...this is your tape. Here, watch this tutorial: P2 Workflow with FCP 6 Live it, learn it...know it.

Yes, if you import the footage into FCP, only machines with FCP can see that footage. Unless they purchase the DVCPRO HD decoder from Calibrated.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 24, 2010 at 2:43:48 am

If they don't have FCP- they will not be able to open up your QuickTimes because they won't have the DVCPROHD codec that is needed for HVX footage. So if you need to share with a place that has Macs but not FCP, convert each clip to ProRes. You can run as a batch in Compressor. If they don't have FCP chances are they wouldn't be able to do much with the camera original P2 files anyways so I wouldn't bother with that.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D,
Apple Tablet Blog.

Return to posts index

Gary Goldblum
on Jan 24, 2010 at 3:13:56 am

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the response. I watched your tutorial, and am curious if you move the P2 data onto a hard drive and then use the log and transfer wouldn't you have two copies on your hard drive? (The P2 content and a Quicktime movie)

I usually just format my P2 cards between shoots. I am thinking of getting some sort of tape back up system for HD material. Any suggestions?

Thanks again,

Gary

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 24, 2010 at 4:00:44 am

[Gary Goldblum] "wouldn't you have two copies on your hard drive? (The P2 content and a Quicktime movie) "

Sorta. One copy is the FULL card backup. This is what you offload and archive onto SEPARATE hard drives from your media drives. In the field I have small USB or Firewire bus powered drives I offload to. Then I copy them to the main ARCHIVE drives when I get back to the office. Those are separate FIREWIRE or INTERNAL SATA drives. From there I import into FCP and the footage gets copied to the MEDIA drives.

You need two copies. What happens if you lost your media drive? Then all of your footage would be gone! Again, do you capture your footage from tape then toss the tapes? Seriously, do you? I hope not. You need to hold onto the masters.

[Gary Goldblum] "I am thinking of getting some sort of tape back up system for HD material. Any suggestions? "

LTO tape backup. QUANTUM. Until then, use separate hard drives.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jan 24, 2010 at 11:42:38 pm

Another big advantage of separately archived MXF files (which Shane has written about in the past) is that you can batch capture all the QT files in a project from the project file and MXFs.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Craig Swanson
on Jan 24, 2010 at 8:05:55 pm

Promax has an interesting hard drive/LTO combo in the same enclosure. They even have a hard drive/blu-ray for archive:

http://www.promax.com/Solutions/ProjectStorAvailableSolutions/

Macbook Pro 17
2.6 ghz
4 gigs ram
GeForce 8600 GT 512 mb
HD One 8 drive Raid 5
QT 7.6.3 / QT 10.0
FCP 7

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]