FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LHi, P2 and ProRes

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nate Stephens
Kona LHi, P2 and ProRes
on Jan 20, 2010 at 11:58:20 pm

For you guys who have had the Kona card and a HPX500, Here is a workflow question.

I just installed the Kona LHi to my Mac Pro and upgraded to FCP studio 3. Historically, I would go shoot the HPX500, come back and load my Dual adapter in my Mac Book Pro, download P2 cards to a mirrored firewire raid and then move the raid to the Mac Pro octo. The files stay in mxf format until Raylight wraps them.

Considering all these steps, has anybody discovered if it is just as easy to plug their HPX500 into the SDI input of their Kona card and then just start FCP capture now? If I used the Kona card to transcode the DVCpro format to ProRes, would I have a better video clip/media to to edit with?

FCP, Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, HPX500, HVX200, Betacam, Dvcam
Write for the Edit, Shoot for the Edit, Edit.....KISS Principle

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Kona LHi, P2 and ProRes
on Jan 21, 2010 at 1:14:16 am

[Nate Stephens] "has anybody discovered if it is just as easy to plug their HPX500 into the SDI input of their Kona card and then just start FCP capture now?"

Don't do this. You will be lacking in the most important metadata of all...reel and timecode information. And then you'll also be RECOMPRESSING your footage. That is a bad bad idea.

[Nate Stephens] "If I used the Kona card to transcode the DVCpro format to ProRes, would I have a better video clip/media to to edit with? "

No. You will have larger file sizes and more quality loss. Compressing DVCPRO HD (that was already shot) to ProRes.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]