FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 card reader for Snow leopard?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
zack hill
P2 card reader for Snow leopard?
on Jan 17, 2010 at 7:31:03 pm

Good sunday to all,
I have a feeling this question is redundant, but I searched the archives and although many posts were close, nothing hit the nail on the head so to speak.
I am a P2 newbie, actually downloading my first shoot as I write.
I am currently downloading the media from the camera via firewire, which is taking, well almost as long as to capture an entire tape with my Sony V1U, almost...

I recently bought my HVX 200A used, and it came with this card reader that fits into the slot of my powerbook, but when it did not mount, I googled the brand of reader, and it stated that it does not work with Snow Leopard.

My question is, is there a card reader that does work with 10.6?
I looked at the Panasonic Card readers, and wow, 2 grand is not in my budget.
Or, am I just going to use the camera to offload media.

Seeing how fast I filled up to 32 Gig cards yesterday, I need a solution that does not tie up my camera for an hour to download clips.

Thanks, and I apologize if this is a dead horse!

Zack Hill
HVX 200A

Return to posts index

Tom Klein
Re: P2 card reader for Snow leopard?
on Jan 17, 2010 at 10:00:36 pm

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/qio.html
This may be an option for you, Hope to see it on the shelves very soon, keep your eyes out for it..and some transfer tests also.

Yes, Budget priced card readers for P2 has been a bug bear for the vast majority of indi guys, If your budgets are big, there is many options out there.

Cheers
Tom K
olinevideo.com.au

olinevideo.com.au

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Jan 18, 2010 at 3:41:28 am

If you need something today, cheap, I highly advise that you buy a used PB G4 or a new cheap PC laptop. It is the only mobile, low cost P2 dumping solution short of using the camera.

Snow Leopard will never work with the Duel Adpater, it is a dead issue.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

zack hill
on Jan 18, 2010 at 3:54:04 pm

Thanks for the info guys, watching a P2 store on ebay right now...
Cheers,
zack

Zack Hill
http://www.zeechproductions.com

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Jan 18, 2010 at 4:57:22 pm

You can use a P2 Store as a card reader, just remember that it is as slow as Molasses, USB 1.1. If I recall my speed tests when the production company I was working for at the time bought a few of them, I seem to recall something like 45 minutes for an 8GB. Never tried a 16GB with them because the 16s weren't out yet.

They definitely work but are so slow and only have enough space to hold a few cards.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

David Hunter
Does the Nexto solve the P2 transfer problem?
on Jan 23, 2010 at 9:14:21 am

Barry Green mentioned this device as a possible solution to transferring P2 card media.

http://www.cameratown.com/reviews/nexto_extreme/

Does anybody know if it handles the P2 card?

If so it is only a few hundred dollars for fast transfer of .mxf files to its own 16 Gb hard drive directly from the inserted card. Then you can use the SATA cable to connect to your Mac.

The Sonnet solution is going to be 3 times the Nexto Extreme in cost. The Nexto eXtreme 160GB sells for $209.99 from MPC (through Amazon), the 320GB version for just $269.99

I have only seen the Nexto online. Does anybody know if this is a solution to transferring P2 Panasonic HVX files onto a Macbook Pro that was " upgraded" to Snow Leopard (invalidating the use of Duel Adapter)?

Return to posts index

Franck Villano
on Jan 29, 2010 at 10:57:58 pm

Hello,

$Good news @ https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/desk/e/dueladapt_e.htm
I just discovered Pana will soon launch a 1 slot P2 reader that will work with Snow Leopard!

Hope it will solve all our P2 reading problems on locations!

Return to posts index

zack hill
on Jan 29, 2010 at 11:36:17 pm

Sweet!

Zack Hill
http://www.zeechproductions.com

Return to posts index

David Hunter
on Jan 30, 2010 at 2:13:46 pm

YES, BUT...the announcement says DRIVE

Panasonic is developing a new 1 slot P2 drive which works on Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and planning to launch it in the spring of 2010.

It doesn't sound like Panasonic is simply developing the Express Slot adapter solution like the Duel Adapter. The term "drive" I think means a continuation of what they already do...a HARD DRIVE that, I presume, connects through an adapter to the Express Card slot the way the Duel Adapter did.

But, it sounds like they are going for the most expensive "solution". In other words, it sounds as if, I say again, it "sounds like" they are not going to make the simple download to the Macbook Pro workflow as we did with the Duel Adapter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]