FORUMS: list search recent posts

Archiving on an external Harddrive, DVDs

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Isaac Brillant
Archiving on an external Harddrive, DVDs
on Jan 14, 2010 at 5:53:27 pm

Hi,

I've got many different projects over many different firewire harddrives. Some are lacies, some are western Digital MyBooks...

Is my data safe if I store the harddrive and leave it alone, or do I need to run the harddrive once in a while to keep the parts working?

Would investing in a Blueray burner and backing everything up to Blueray a safer option? Or less safe because of scratches?

(I'm not at the level of investing in the drives / tape options that are in the thousands of $$)

Thanks
Isaac

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Archiving on an external Harddrive, DVDs
on Jan 14, 2010 at 8:43:22 pm

[Isaac Brillant] "Is my data safe if I store the harddrive and leave it alone, or do I need to run the harddrive once in a while to keep the parts working? "

Run it every once and a while. Best to archive to a RAID 1 (protected) solution, or to multiple drives. I archive to bare SATA drives and use a USB to SATA connector. cheap and quick.

[Isaac Brillant] "Would investing in a Blueray burner and backing everything up to Blueray a safer option? Or less safe because of scratches? "

That's another option. Yeah, prone to scratching and deterioration over time. Always give and take. LTO tape backup is the best solution, but NOT CHEAP.

I suggest hard drives.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Isaac Brillant
on Jan 15, 2010 at 12:59:06 am

Thanks... I'll look into that!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 15, 2010 at 2:07:25 pm

If you aren't going LTO, just buy more hard drives. You're going to want more than one copy just in case.

Return to posts index

Isaac Brillant
on Jan 17, 2010 at 1:13:13 am

Thanks guys.

What are "bare" SATA drives?

Also, Shane, I watched your video about importing P2... If you keep the P2 reel as your master even after importing to FCP, is there a way to delete unwanted clips from the P2 "reel" folder once its on your harddrive, or do you need to do that while the card is in the camera?

Also, is there a practical difference between the video on the P2 card and the quicktime movie you end up with after log and transfer? Whats the point in holding into the P2 data if you've log & transfered everything?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 17, 2010 at 7:16:09 am

[Isaac Brillant] "What are "bare" SATA drives? "

Drives not inside enclosures...like firewire or USB cases. Just the bare hard drive. If you have a MacPro, then you have 3 empty drive sleds that you can attach these drives to and insert and pull out easily.

[Isaac Brillant] "f you keep the P2 reel as your master even after importing to FCP, is there a way to delete unwanted clips from the P2 "reel" folder once its on your harddrive, or do you need to do that while the card is in the camera? "

I don't delete anything. I might not use it NOW, but who knows about later. And it really isn't taking up much space. I try to delete when I can in-camera. And you can delete if you use P2CMS, because that makes a full card structure for EVERY CLIP. I hate that personally, so I never use it.

[Isaac Brillant] "Also, is there a practical difference between the video on the P2 card and the quicktime movie you end up with after log and transfer?"

Yes. The imported QT can only be used on machines running FCP. What if you find yourself needing to use these on an Avid? Premiere? Vegas? Save the originals. Or, to get you into the right frame of mind...after you capture a tape into FCP, why keep the tape? Why not toss it? Because it is the MASTER...you can capture this format into any system. You don't throw away tapes. So keep the original card offloads.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Isaac Brillant
on Jan 17, 2010 at 4:28:12 pm

Thanks...
I have a Mac Book Pro so I dont think I have those slots... Whats the problem with it being in a housing vs bare?

What about the program you mention in your video tutorial - P2genie? Is that similar to P2CMS? (why do you hate P2CMS?)

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 17, 2010 at 4:54:33 pm

[Isaac Brillant] "I have a Mac Book Pro so I dont think I have those slots..."

Then you need an adapter. We use one from Weibetech, but there's many. If I were to buy again today, I'd get something like this:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/NewerTech/Voyager/Hard_Drive_Dock

[Isaac Brillant] "Whats the problem with it being in a housing vs bare?"

Bare is usually cheaper as you don't have to pay for the enclosure.

[Isaac Brillant] "What about the program you mention in your video tutorial - P2genie?"

P2 Genie is no longer. P2CMS is really good at certain things and offloading is one of them as it does a verify (but you can only do one card at at time). If you are using Snow Leopard, though, P2CMS is not available yet.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]