FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trim Raw P2 Data

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Bonzey
Trim Raw P2 Data
on Jan 13, 2010 at 1:19:10 am

I have an interesting problem. Due to security reasons at a recent shoot, I need to edit raw P2 clips.

In doing a long walk through, the camera operator may have inadvertently captured some footage that security of our client doesn't want recorded. Thus, I need to trim/edit clips so that the footage in question is removed without having to delete the entire walk through.

I know I can do this during the import process in Final Cut Pro, but converting the files through FCP and then deleting the clip from the card leaves me with an incomplete archive.

Anyone have any ideas? Is this something that P2 CMS can handle or is there some 3rd party software that will allow me to do this?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

-Colin

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Trim Raw P2 Data
on Jan 13, 2010 at 2:27:31 am

Why don't you just edit the video out in FCP. You aren't delivering the P2 card are you?

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Colin Bonzey
on Jan 13, 2010 at 2:33:56 am

I can do this, but when I delete the clip off the P2, I will no longer have the completed archive.

Our archival process maintains the P2 cards in their rawest form so I'd like to be able to keep it intact. It's a bit obsessive but something that I'd like to be able to maintain.

If editing/trimming the clip during log and transfer is my only option, then it'll have to do.

Thanks for your reply

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jan 13, 2010 at 3:02:04 am

Yo u do not need delete the clip from the P2 card. Offload your P2 card to a Hard drive. Log and transfer in FCP. Edit in FCP. deliver to client

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Colin Bonzey
on Jan 13, 2010 at 3:11:29 am

I appreciate your responses, but I may not have been clear enough...The P2 card has been confiscated for security reasons until it has been reviewed and any part of the footage that captured sensitive areas will have to be deleted.

So, I can set my in and out points through log and transfer and capture around the sensitive areas, but I would then have to delete the WHOLE clip off the card and eliminate all of the footage from the archive. I'd obviously archive the .mov if it was the only copy of the footage, but would rather keep the P2 archive intact.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 13, 2010 at 11:02:16 pm

You would have to being in the raw MXF data, edit it, then reexport out to a p2 MXF format, then delete the original MXFs.

Ins and outs are controlled through metadata in P2CMS, it doesn't physically alter the MXF media.

MXF4mac has tools to do this for you. Namely, MXF Import and the P2 Export FCP plugin.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Colin Bonzey
on Jan 14, 2010 at 1:34:19 pm

MXF4Mac looks to be exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]