FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio question of hpx170

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jan terry
audio question of hpx170
on Jan 11, 2010 at 11:49:22 pm

I am shooting 720p/ 24p with the hpx 170 camera.. Am using a high end lav mic . When I monitor my audio with headphones, I hear a very slight delay in the sound or maybe even a slight re verb: However when I play the footage back it is fine.. My question is why do I hear this slight delay through the head phones while monitoringthe audio, and can I do something to hear my audio as perfect as it plays back? Thanks....

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: audio question of hpx170
on Jan 12, 2010 at 5:48:03 am

Go into AV IN/OUT setup HP mode switch to Live.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

jan terry
on Jan 12, 2010 at 11:15:43 am

Thank you sooooo much! and also for quick response! Jan

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jan 12, 2010 at 2:43:24 pm

When you monitor in RECORDING you are in effect listening to the audio after it's been recorded. It takes time for the audio to be processed and this is why there's a slight delay.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Loui Henry
on Jul 15, 2010 at 5:44:30 pm

Hi
I shoot with the AG HPX 171 DVCproHD cam but I'm not that good in working with audio, so:.
I'm going to shoot an outdoor concert. What microphone do you suggest for best"catch"
I have today:
1 wireless Sennheizer eW 100 G2 mic (which I alternate with)
1 handheld Sennheizer SKM 100-865 G3D (This is said to be used mainly for intreview situations)
and 1 wireless receiver Sennheizer eW 100 G2.
If I use the wireless handheld mic on a tripod as I did last time I get only one channel (mono) Right?

What kind of microphones would you suggest shooting a concert
Any comments on live audio to learn more about doing right from the beginning would be brilliant!

LH

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jul 15, 2010 at 7:03:46 pm

Capturing live audio well is difficult. Perhaps the best solution would be to take a feed from the audio company working the concert. If they're doing a record mix as well as a house PA mix, use that one. Feed your wireless transmitter from their board feed. Just be sure to match the feed with the level your xmtr is expecting. If you can choose Line In on the transmitter (as opposed to Mic In), do that. You may need a special cable. Also, even with Line In you might need a pad to lower the line level to the cam. Board mixes at concerts can be hot. (If the xmtr only accepts mic level in then you need a pad that can handle that.) I don't know if your cam has a switchable pad. It might be a good idea to talk to the audio company in advance and hear what they have to say. They've probably done this before. And test, test, test. Go to a rehearsal or sound check and record some audio. Play it back and be prepared to improvise if you have any issues.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Loui Henry
on Jul 15, 2010 at 8:08:33 pm

Thanks John
Good ideas, I will think about this and contact the audio company.
Last time in a concert hall i feed my Panasonic AG HPX 171 via cable from the mixerboard.
I used a traditional xlr cable from the mixerboard to my cameras audio input 1 set to "line". (Is this the way to go ;)(So at that event I didn't use any wireless system)
Maybe should I use two cables both input 1 and 2 to get stereo?
I agree about using the mixerboard as a source would be the best thing, but and but...sometimes there are very small event with mixers operated by the perfomers themslves and nobody really knows...It' at those times I would like to have knowledge about what microphones that would make a good capture.
Seems like you've been shooting with the Panasonic HPX 500 (In your system details) so maybe there are similarities between my AG HPX 171 DVCPRO HD P2 camera!? How do you rig/think/use when preparing for an audio event on the field?

LH

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]