data recovered p2 card material

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Giga Shane
data recovered p2 card material
on Jan 9, 2010 at 7:52:29 pm

Hi,

Here's my sad story...
A drive with some raw p2 data failed, and the data recovery company says that they'll be able to retrieve all of the data, just probably not the file structure or the origiinal file names. Basically I'll probably get a big folder with 7 p2 tapes worth of nameless, disorganized .mxf and .xml files etc.

My question is, is there any way to reorganize this type of mess using metadata, or some solution yet unbeknownst to me in order to salvage these precious tapes, or am I basically just in denial that I am totally screwed on this particular project?

(I know, always back up...I generally do but this was from a shoot in the field and the drive failed before I had a chance...a glyph drive nonetheless...)

Thanks for any help!

Giga

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: data recovered p2 card material
on Jan 10, 2010 at 4:38:53 am

OY!

Well I don't think that you will have any luck rebuilding the file structure. There are so many things, not just the MXF files for audio and video, but the CLIP information, the XMLs that allow FCP to read and import the footage and tie them together.

You might need to look into MXF readers like Raylight, MXF4MAC or Calibrated.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Giga Shane
on Jan 10, 2010 at 10:51:39 pm

Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into those right away. Basically at this point if I can salvage the video and audio data separately from the individual mxf files I would be thrilled, and then I could just paste it back together once its in an editable format - I guess it looks like some of these programs enable final cut to read mxf natively without conversion?

It'll take some time, but that is not really a concern as long as I can get my hands on that footage!

Thanks - I'll let you know how it plays out.

Giga

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 11, 2010 at 4:27:44 pm

MXF4mac have MXF analyzer tools to help you with this process. MXF INfo Light is free and will tell you the contents and name of the footage. You would then have to rename and reorganize. I'd try and contact them to see what they can do for you.

http://mxf4mac.com/mxf-info

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jan 11, 2010 at 7:38:41 pm

I haven't used it, but P2 Log Pro has a repair wizard that can apparently rebuild a valid P2 folder structure with appropriate XML metadata from as little as just the MXF files.

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]