FORUMS: list search recent posts

transferring p2 card footage to external hard drive

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jan terry
transferring p2 card footage to external hard drive
on Jan 7, 2010 at 12:33:52 am

Wanting to know which external hard drives might be better for this and also how to do the transfer! Thanks! Jan

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: transferring p2 card footage to external hard drive
on Jan 7, 2010 at 3:17:27 pm

Any external hard drive will work. Look at Other World Computing (macsales.com). Those are the types of drives you should be using. Make sure your data is backed up on multiple drives. Hard drives will fail. Better to be safe than sorry. Reshoots are very expensive and time wasted.

There are plenty of P2 workflows available. There are also a variety of ways to offload P2 data onto a hard drive.

The least inexpensive and slowest is to connect the camera via FW or USB to your computer.
The Duel Adapter if you have a MacBook Pro or PC with Express 34 slot
PCMCIA slot from a Powerbook or PC laptop
P2 card reader (most expensive)

Shot Put Pro from Imagine Products is highly recommended for offloading any type of digital media. It will do the work for you.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

jan terry
on Jan 7, 2010 at 3:52:11 pm

Thanks for reply:
What if I need to dump footage on to an external hard drive direct and it needs to be both mac and pc friendly to send off to avid editors ,not knowing which computer they are using etc... Thanks, just very new to P2 media etc... Jan

Return to posts index

Julian Williamson
on Jan 10, 2010 at 9:04:52 am

You can't do wrong using the "drag and drop" method with FAT32 formatted Western Digital Passport drives. I use MacBook Pro with Express slot, Duel adapter. Make a folder on the Hard Drive, "Card 1" or some such, then drag the entire contents of card to that folder. Check sizes of folder vs. card to ensure all material transferred. If using FCPro, the editor can use the "Log and Transfer" tool. Avid people can use whatever tool Avid people use these days.

Fastest transfer: Duel to Firewire. Only slightly slower: Duel to USB2. Fastest transfer from camera (HPX-170) ... USB port, believe it or not. Glacially slow transfer: Firewire from camera through laptop to USB2.

Caveats: Treat the Duel adapter carefully. They stop working; I've had several. I now keep it in a padded sleeve. Once you've removed the Duel from the Express slot, you have to reboot computer to use it again.

Julian Williamson
http://www.blueslandfilms.com

Return to posts index

Arlene Williamson
Your Father, Julian, Jr.
on Jun 6, 2010 at 9:08:36 pm

CALL HOME, or your sister ASAP.

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
on Jan 11, 2010 at 9:29:05 pm

I'm using a MacBook Pro, a Duel adapter and the HD Log software from Imagine Software. (For offloading ShotPut P2 would work, but that program did not exist when we started go P2).

Using the HD Log software, I offload to two Western Digital MyBook Passport edition 500 GB disks.

Then any of the disk is used for Log and Transfer. The same disk (or the other disk) is then backed up on other disks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]