FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2HD Blurred images

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mezan Morrison
P2HD Blurred images
on Jan 6, 2010 at 7:45:56 pm

This is probably a HPX and FCP question.

We shot a project using the Panasonic HPX 170 at 1080i/24p with shutter speeds 1/60, 1/250, 1/500 as we were shooting outdoors.

The project was imported into FCP without a problem, but now on playback (in the timeline), every fourth and fifth frame is blurry. The first three frames play fine, but the following two are blurry. It might not be that noticeable on the computer, but it will be screened on a big screen and although it hasn't been tested on a TV or broadcast monitor as yet, I figure it's going to be worse when it's enlarged.

So, how do I fix it in FCP and what settings should I use next time, to eliminate the blurs in post.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: P2HD Blurred images
on Jan 6, 2010 at 8:17:09 pm

Those are normal. Those are the INTERLACED frames. You are shooting 24fps onto a 30fps format, so some of the 24fps have to be mixed together (half fields from one frame, half from another) in order to spread the 24fps out in the 30fps format.

When you play it should look fine. This is typical, and is seen in FILM that has been telecined to 30fps tape as well.

If you shot 1080p 24pA, then you could reverse telecine and get to 23.98...24 actual FPS. But if you are going to 30fps tape or other format, then that would be pointless.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mezan Morrison
on Jan 6, 2010 at 9:33:58 pm

Thanks! It's a little disturbing when you see it at first. So, is it a repetition of the frames to make up the six frames that would be needed to convert 24 to 30fps?

Also, would shooting at 30fps eliminate the blur, but give a less film-like quality?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 6, 2010 at 11:43:08 pm

[Mezan Morrison] "So, is it a repetition of the frames to make up the six frames that would be needed to convert 24 to 30fps? "

Yes... read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3:2_pulldown#3:2_pulldown

[Mezan Morrison] "Also, would shooting at 30fps eliminate the blur, but give a less film-like quality?"

30P would be 30fps, all progressive frames. A cross between film look and video. Not as smooth as video, but not quite the film cadence. But good enough in many cases. Shoot it and compare.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]