FORUMS: list search recent posts

Duel Adapter Not Mounting P2 Card

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Abbie Hamilton
Duel Adapter Not Mounting P2 Card
on Jan 5, 2010 at 3:43:12 pm

I purchased a Duel Adapter for my panasonic p2 cards to be able to be read on my macbook pros--one running 10.5.8 and one running 10.5.5. I was having a hard time getting the adapter to mount my p2 card on either laptop until I realized I hadnt installed the P2 drivers. I did so and the duel adapter successfully mounted on my macbook pro running 10.5.5......however, I did the same install on my macbook pro running 10.5.8 and it does not recognize the card/adapter. In my "About this Mac" I see the PCI Cards section says "This computer does not appear to have any PCI cards installed." What is different from my 10.5.5 and my 10.5.8 that the adapter does not mount on the latter? I called Duel Systems to ask for technical support and they said at this point it is an apple issue. any suggestions?

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Dan Brockett
Re: Duel Adapter Not Mounting P2 Card
on Jan 5, 2010 at 6:26:40 pm

I have been experiencing the same thing on my Santa Rosa dual 2.2 GHz Core Duo MBP. The Duel Adapter worked fine on Tiger. The minute I switched to Leopard, it stopped working consistently. That is what is so frustrating about it, about 20-30% of the time, the card WILL mount but about 70-80% of the time, nothing happens.

I too have spoken with Duel and they said the same. If you look on the Duel site, you will see for Leopard, there is no Duel driver available, they say that support is "built-in", which, to a point, it must be since the card is recognized part of the time. I tried updating to the latest P2 driver but to no avail.

I would suggest that if you rely on P2 and are on Mac, either purchase a used G4 PB with the PCMCIA slot or a cheap PC laptop. That is what I am doing. There will be no Duel support for Snow Leopard so as we move forward, it is up to us to find solutions that work. PCs work great for P2 dumping and my wife's old G4 PB (that used to be mine), works a charm. I just need to buy her a new Macbook so I can steal my old PB back from her.

Best of luck and sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If your 10.5.5 system is consistently mounting P2 cards, consider yourself very lucky. Some report their Leopard MBPs work fine with the Duel, but many more like me have not had much luck. Short of updating to the most current version of the P2 driver, there is nothing else that you can do, short of downgrading back to Tiger.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Abbie Hamilton
on Jan 5, 2010 at 6:45:02 pm

Thanks so much for your input; good to know I'm not the only one experiencing this problem....I was starting to think I was crazy, especially with the brush-off treatment I was getting from Duel and Apple. I may have to look into another arrangement--scrapping the new MBP my company unfortunately just purchased. Thanks again

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jan 6, 2010 at 1:57:51 am

Even-though my Duel Adapter works great on my MBPro, I am looking forward to the release of the Sonnet Qio.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Jan 6, 2010 at 2:24:59 am

So Steve, what did you do to your setup that Abbie and I have neglected to do to ours?

Santa Rosa MBP dual 2.2GHz
4 GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
Duel Adapter
Latest version of P2 Driver for OS 10.4 Tiger and OS 10.5 Leopard

The thing that has me stumped is that once in a while when I try it, it works, but it never never works consistently. It will mount the card once, then the second card, no dice, even after a reboot, reinsert Duel, etc.

Dan

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jan 6, 2010 at 3:45:24 am

I'm not sure. I have the 15" MBPro Core Duo 2 2.33Ghz with 4GB of RAM, 10.5.8 with the latest P2 driver. I started with Tiger and when I went to Leopard, only had a few no mounts. The only trouble I had was keeping the adapter from coming out of the Express/34 slot. I've solved that problem.

If my card does not mount, I will do a restart and the card always shows up.

The only thing I can think of is the connection of the adapter in the Express/34 slot. It could be the adapter or the slot.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Jan 6, 2010 at 2:58:50 pm

I think I need to find a friend with a newer Duel adapter and try that. I have had this one for a long time, I bought it when they first came out, perhaps the connection is intermittent, but then again, it worked really well up until I changed to Leopard. I am hesitant to buy another Duel because if that doesn't fix it, that will be money wasted.

Thanks,

Dan

Return to posts index

Abbie Hamilton
on Jan 8, 2010 at 9:50:19 pm

I am looking into buying a new adapter for my macbook pro running 10.5.8 and just keeping the duel adapter to continue to use with my macbook pro 10.5.5 since it seems to be working fine there. any suggestions for which adapter I should look into? Price may be an issue as I'm not sure I can spend 2 grand, but I'd like to know any opinions on any and all adapters that WILL WORK

thanks!

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
on Jan 11, 2010 at 9:35:15 pm

The Duel very easily comes out of the Express Card slot. Fortunately, it does not pop out while offloading my footage...

For the record Steve - how have you solved the problem?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]