FORUMS: list search recent posts

missing icon folder in p2 contents folder

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sergio Béjares
missing icon folder in p2 contents folder
on Dec 28, 2009 at 4:00:33 pm

Hello everyone, deep thanks in advance for any sort of help provided for my problem.

On a feature film being shot with a Panasonic Hvx-200, The p2 cards were transferred to a macbook pro via "dragging and droping". After wrapping production we discovered that the icons folder within one of the transferred p2 cards folder (contents folder) was completely empty. Everything else is there (lastclip.txt file and the audio, clip, video and voice folders) and transferred normally,except for the icon folder that doesnt have anything on it. This issue prevents us from being able to log and transfer in final cut pro as well as previewing the clips. This error in transferring happened mid production with a few more p2 cards being transferred afterwards without any problems, which rules out the idea of the camera or p2 cards being faulty. My questions to the experts are:

Is there any way of regenerating the icon folder contents from the video files?

is there a way of transcoding or working with the material straight from the mxf files without the bmp files?

can you transcode from mxf to quicktime without the bmp files being there?

basically, can you do anything with the material without the icon folder contents?

once again thanks so much in advance for your help. best of luck to all of you!!!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: missing icon folder in p2 contents folder
on Dec 28, 2009 at 5:31:02 pm

Try one of the MXF raw plugins such as Calibrated- google search. They may be able to save the MXF files directly.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Sergio Béjares
on Dec 28, 2009 at 7:46:11 pm

thanks a lot for that quick response Noah, very appreciated.

Got another question though if you dont mind, what about the clip folder, i understand it holds the metadata for each shot produced. if this folder is missing, is it possible to retrieve this info? can we work with the mxf files without this metadata? is there any other software that looks deeper into this eventual issues?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 29, 2009 at 6:58:05 pm

Whoever transferred your footage owes you a reshoot.

You can work with the footage, but it's going to take a plugin such as MXF4mac. FCP looks to the XML files for critical info such as tc, spanned clip info and other pertinent data about your video/audio. You can live without the icons, it's the XML files that will hurt the most.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]