FORUMS: list search recent posts

Updated HPX-500 ?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Stephens
Updated HPX-500 ?
on Dec 18, 2009 at 4:35:47 am

With the HPX-300 falling a bit short with it's 1/3 imager and the HPX-500 being 2 year old tech, what does the group think is the time table for an updated 500 or a new camera positioned above the 300 ?

Return to posts index

Doug Nichol
Re: Updated HPX-500 ?
on Dec 19, 2009 at 10:18:10 am

My feeling is that Panasonic needs to come out with something the size of the HPX170 that has a 1/2" chip and shots in AVC-Intra 1080x1920 native. This is the only way to compete with the new DSLRs that give you an incredible image for less than the price of the 170. The HPX-500 should all the specs of the HPX3000 for the price of a 500 to remain competitive as well.

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
on Dec 19, 2009 at 6:06:40 pm

Love the small footprint of the 170/200 for travel.

Why not go to a 2/3" chip; something that would surpass the EX and be in line with what Scarlet is supposed to deliver?

Hey Santa, we've been good :-)

Cheers,

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Dec 19, 2009 at 8:32:04 pm

You will probably not ever see 1/2" sensors from Panasonic for many reasons that have nothing to do with technology.

A three chip 2/3" set of sensors and optical could not physically fit into a housing the size of the HPX170/200A.

If you want large sensors today, buy a DSLR.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Dec 19, 2009 at 7:52:25 pm

You looking for an HPX-400 with a 1/2" Sensor or an HPX-500A with AVC-Intra?

At least the R and A P2 cards have come way down in price. Most only $50 more than the E series.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

John Stephens
on Dec 19, 2009 at 9:25:00 pm

You got it ..... a 500A.

Just in case Panasonic is watching …….. I did a demo of the HPX-300 and for the price B&H currently has posted, the camera is worth every penny. It would be a good B camera, but not the primary camera for a full-time producer.

There was just something missing in the quality of the image. Maybe a setup from Roger Macie can improve it. His setup on our Sony D600 Beta SP is clearly responsible for the beautiful look of that aging camera.

I am also slightly concerned about the build quality of the HPX-300. Our camera works a minimum of 3 days per week. The 300 is not going to stand up to that kind of use.

Here is what I will buy tomorrow. The impressive electronics and viewfinder of the 300, but with 2/3” or 1/2" chips. The bigger clips will improve the image quality and low-light performance. The camera body will get slightly larger, but not as big or as heavy as the 500. I guess I can live with the two slots, but remember the proxy card will take a slot.

Price will naturally be higher than the 300. But if Panasonic wants a big hit, 25% more would be great. And please give us the option to buy a real lens. We have all made the mistake of buying a cheap promotional lens, only to replace it with real glass less than a year later.

Panasonic are you watching ? We are ready to buy.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Dec 19, 2009 at 10:36:14 pm

You do make good points. I own both the HPX-500 and the HPX-170. Majority of my work is hand held. I use the 500 for 95% of my shoots. I have no major complaints from either camera. I would like to see an improved viewfinder and LCD and AVC-Intra added to 500.

The AJA KiPro can become a valuable asset if you edit with FCP.

No need to use the proxy card. Panasonic doesn't make money from the cheap lens. With the exception of the 300, you always have the option of buying just the body.

If you need to buy now, do it. If you can wait, the Olympics are just over a month away. If Panasonic has new equipment, they will be putting it to the test at the Winter Olympics.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Phil Yunker
on Dec 20, 2009 at 4:49:49 pm

I would have to think that Panasonic is getting ready to come out with a "new and improved" 500. I was on the B&H website and the price for a 500 is $9,899.95 (of course this is camera only no lens, mic, tripod plate, etc...) How much was the 500 when it was first released? Wasn't it close to $20,000 (Steve ???) Seems like B&H has been asked by Panasonic to probably blow them out to get ready for something new in that line. Maybe, hopefully a 500 that records AVC-INTRA 100.
--I do not work for B&H, so don't take the first part of the post as and advertisement.

Phil Yunker
Yunker Video Production Services
Indianapolis, IN
http://www.philyunker.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Regan
on Dec 21, 2009 at 12:29:35 am

I know Panasonic is coming out with a large sensor CMOS camera. Somebody who is close to Panasonic hinted at it, but said he was under an NDA. I have no clue what price point will be, nor lens mount options.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Return to posts index

John Stephens
on Dec 21, 2009 at 12:37:53 pm

It would sure make sense that an update to the 500 is the way Panasonic will go. There is a big hole in the middle of their line-up . I can only hope that they stay aggressive on price. Any thoughts on time table ? I hope it is not a wait until NAB deal.

Return to posts index

David Cosby
on Jan 6, 2010 at 3:17:43 am

Highly unlikely for you to expect Panasonic to keep putting updates into old tech the likes of a 500.
if you were sharp and busy the past few months there were great deals on far better cameras.
300s are solid with the use of AVC. But the real deals were the 2700 and 3700 Varicams and I seriously question if you will see cameras of that caliber for prices like that for a while.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]