FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 "log and transfer" newbie question

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Monette
P2 "log and transfer" newbie question
on Dec 16, 2009 at 3:22:21 am

Sorry if this question has been asked before...

Which workflow is better:

a) using P2CMS, copy P2 contents to a working hard drive and a redundant hard drive and then use log and transfer in FCP to create the working quicktime movie files in my project's capture scratch folder

or

b) log and transfer directly from the P2 cards and subsequently back-up the newly made quicktime movies in the capture scratch folder.

Are there any drawbacks to option 'b'? It seems to me to eliminate a step. I know there are things like raylight that create reference files, and this seems like a good idea to me. But it also seems unnecessary given the workflow of option 'b'.

any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: P2 "log and transfer" newbie question
on Dec 16, 2009 at 8:09:17 am

Option A. Keep the originals...they are your master tapes. Do you (god, I sound like a broken record here) throw away your tapes after you capture them? Or reuse them? I HOPE NOT!

[Chris Monette] "Are there any drawbacks to option 'b'?"

What if you find yourself on another NLE...Avid, Adobe, Vegas? Then those QTs would be useless. Only FCP contains the codecs needed to edit those imported QTs.

Many of us like option C) Using something like MXF4Mac or P2 Flow or Calibrated to edit the MXF files natively...no transcoding time. I personally REALLY like P2 Flow, as that carries over ALL of the embedded metadata that the camera records. You can either use it to edit the MXF files natively (if you are using one machine), or export a batch list to convert the footage to QTs, and map the metadata to columns in FCP for those places with multiple edit stations.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]