FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPX170P Is this an import?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Leahy
HPX170P Is this an import?
on Dec 12, 2009 at 5:53:10 pm

Hello all,
I just bought a new AG-HPX170 from Amazon.com and what was shipped to me was an AG-HPX170P. Is this an import model? I bought it so that I could get the rebate and 5 year warranty, but I'm afraid this isn't it. Did I get the right camera or do I need to return it?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Ronald Wilk
Re: HPX170P Is this an import?
on Dec 12, 2009 at 6:41:49 pm

Hello:

Import? Well, it is made in Japan but if what you mean is, produced for another market, I doubt it. I too purchased a new HPX170 from a reputable US dealer within the past few months and it has the same "P" designation. I have already received the extended warranty from Panasonic USA, etc.
Enjoy your new camera... it's great!

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Dec 14, 2009 at 1:56:19 pm

In order to qualify for the 5 year warranty, the camera must be purchased from a US authorized Panasonic dealer. Another indication your camera is not Grey Market, your package will include a 16 GB P2 card and the HPX/HVX Book.

HPX-170P in general is a US authorized camera.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Terry Leahy
on Dec 14, 2009 at 6:37:43 pm

Okay so two things. One it was new when I bought it and came with a 16 Gig P2 Card. So that's good. However, there was no HVX/HPX book included, so I was suspicious. When I went online to register with Panasonic for the warranty I put in all the information during the process and a message came back saying "the equipment does not match the delivery" or something to that end. So I tried playing around with the country of purchase tab and when I put it on Panama it went through. So I guess I got the right camera but if it breaks I have to get it serviced in Panama I'm guessing? Or do you think Panasonic will let the warranty work in the US? I have a sinking feeling the rebate isn't going to work either....

Return to posts index

Ronald Wilk
on Dec 14, 2009 at 8:01:12 pm

I would call Panasonic's customer service and verify that the serial number corresponds with those cameras destined for an offshore, outside U.S.A. location. If that turns out to be the case and the Amazon web site either implied that the camera was destined for US import or, in the alternative, did not post a disclaimer to the contrary, I would return the camera to them for a full refund. If they refuse, you may have legal recourse and I would contact an attorney.

Return to posts index

Ronald Wilk
on Dec 14, 2009 at 8:04:24 pm

One other thing to consider; If the Amazon purchase was negotiated via a second party supplier, it is possible that Amazon may not have been aware of either the camera's origin or its intended destination, for example, Panama. In that case, they may be more than agreeable to assist you in your claim/

Return to posts index

Terry Leahy
on Dec 15, 2009 at 9:05:39 pm

Thank you very much Ronald. The company Crawford Superstore which is the reseller from Amazon called me to ask about my problems with the camera. I simply stated that in the product listing I was promised a five year warranty with registration and that the HPX/HVX book that he advertised coming was not included to which he couldn't understand why. So he asked to call me back after he spoke with his distributer. He told me that my suspicions were correct and his distributer was jerking the both of us around. He offered me 1000 dollars worth of extras and a five year warranty from CPS for free, but I said I couldn't afford not to have the American warranty so I needed a refund which he said he would have no problem with. So provided this all goes as planned, I can still get an HPX170 before the New Year so I can get the 500 dollar rebate and a five year amaerican warranty. I'll definitely get it from the authorized dealer a few towns over. Thanks everybody for the help.

Return to posts index

Ronald Wilk
on Dec 15, 2009 at 10:58:49 pm

You are very welcome. And good luck with the replacement HPX 170, it's a great camera that you are sure to enjoy.

Return to posts index

Miodrag Ristic
on Dec 23, 2009 at 12:53:30 am

I've had similar experience to yours, even worse probably.
The camera they (Australian dealer) sold me in the first place was used and damaged (this turned out to be good) as if it wasn't damaged it'd be hard for me to prove it that it was used.

I was suspicious from the first moment I opened the box, cables and accessories where not packed neatly as one would expect when buying a brand new equipment, there was an European power cord instead of Australian and the box had a sticker "Opened by Panasonic Quality Assurance".

Soon after testing the camera I noticed the noise, crackling noise on focus ring.

Rang the dealer and they agreed to replace the camera but they denied that the camera was used.
Insisted to talk to Panasonic Australia, they basically supported dealer's story.
Then they explained that camera was dropped by delivery guy (but the box was intact?).

The dealer does equipment hire as well, what pretty much tells everything.

My replacement camera arrived a month later (there was a delay in production they've said?)...
How come they've had one only brand new camera left (the damaged one) then couldn't get one for a whole month (I was given a demo camera to use in the meantime though).

New camera arrived again with the same sticker, which means opened again.
Rang the Panasonic Australia again to check why (earlier he explained that they open each box only to replace the power cord) but both cameras arrived with wrong power cord!? How one can open a box only to replace a power cord and then forget to replace the power cord??
What other reason was to open a brand new box?
Was I sold a reconditioned camera both times, only the last one fully working??

There was a funny message when registering but it went through... Said, very said...

Mio

http://www.digitalvideovault.com.au

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]