FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avoiding Cold Weather Condensation

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
D. Scott Dobbie
Avoiding Cold Weather Condensation
on Dec 10, 2009 at 7:55:21 pm

Shooting exteriors with the HVX200 tomorrow morning, and the outside temperature may be around 38 degrees at the start. Is there anything I can/should do to prevent any issues with taking the camera from a pelican case and starting to use it? Is anything necessary? Perhaps leaving the case open in the garage this evening? Or simply allow 20 minutes before shooting for the temperature to equalize in the camera?

Thanks!

-Scott

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Avoiding Cold Weather Condensation
on Dec 10, 2009 at 10:03:36 pm

Both would be wise calls. Also having something to wipe the camera down with or a little spot you can place it to dry off or warm or cool off would be wise.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

D. Scott Dobbie
on Dec 11, 2009 at 7:07:05 am

Thanks Noah. Appreciate the info.

Return to posts index

Dale West
on Dec 10, 2009 at 11:19:08 pm

Try to avoid going from outside to inside to outside. Your biggest enemy will be big temperature changes and humidity changes. We sometimes think of humidity as being a problem in the Warm Wet South but the humidity of a warm house then going into the cold has the same result. I try to get my client to understand about those changes so the shoot is done all in or all out then we make the move and deal with the issues . I always carry a 250 watt hair dryer that I can use to try the tape transport and the lens as well. There can be times the elements deep within the lens will fog and that can put you out of business for a long time. If you can get the camera outside tonight thats the best. Lock in the trunk of your car or leave it in the garage. Only other issue might be the camera not liking the cold. On a trip to Alaska (it was much colder at about -15) the camera made the most vivid green I've ever seen. But everything was green until the camera generated enough heat. I dont think 38 degrees will give you much problem tho.
best

Dale West Video
North Miami, FL
305-892-1201

Return to posts index

D. Scott Dobbie
on Dec 11, 2009 at 7:10:20 am

Thanks Dale. Bringing a hairdryer sounds like a great idea. And I like the trunk idea better than the garage - it'd be closer to the actual temp.

Return to posts index

David Coleman
on Jan 7, 2010 at 8:04:05 pm

Unless your camera is colder than the ambient temperature, you'll have no condensation. But all night in your cold car will deplete the batteries, including the internal button battery.

Return to posts index

Isaac Brillant
on Jan 26, 2010 at 12:14:29 am

I'm shooting at a ski resort this weekend and will be indoors mostly, but at times I'll go outside to shoot for an hour or so. What can I do to prevent condensation when I go back inside? Also, is there anything I should do when going outside into the cold?

Do I need protective gear?

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]