FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating new P2 card images from selected clips

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim McLaughlin
Creating new P2 card images from selected clips
on Dec 10, 2009 at 3:11:22 pm

I need to send out some b-roll material that was shot on P2 cards. The footage was shot as a mix of interviews and b-roll - but I only want to send the b-roll.

I know Panasonic's PCMS will create a new "card" for each clip, but that would become truly cumbersome for the editor on the other end.

Is there a mac (or pc) utility that will let me mount my existing P2 card images, select the clips I want to export, and write them to a new P2 card image?

Thanks!

Tim McLaughlin
Final Cut and Avid Editor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Creating new P2 card images from selected clips
on Dec 10, 2009 at 5:12:33 pm

Using MXF4mac tools, you can import your mxf files, and then use the P2 FCP Export to create a p2 card from the clips you have put on a timeline. It will be one clip, though, not a bunch of clips when you export.

You will need the MXF Import and MXF Export: P2 Export FCP plug-in. The P2 Export plug-in will available soon.

http://mxf4mac.com/mxf-import

http://mxf4mac.com/mxf-export

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tim McLaughlin
on Dec 10, 2009 at 10:54:03 pm

Individual clips are required, as is retaining the original timecode.

Not an option for me.

Tim

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 10, 2009 at 10:06:52 pm

Yeah it's kind of a kludge though. I'd just send the entire card image or give them a nice transcode to a codec they can accept.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Tim McLaughlin
on Dec 10, 2009 at 10:56:45 pm

Yeah - that's kind of what it's looking like.

I'm just sending them the P2 card images for now...

I'm truly surprised that no one has come up with software to do this.

--
Tim McLaughlin

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 11, 2009 at 1:51:37 am

[Tim McLaughlin] "I'm truly surprised that no one has come up with software to do this."

You can't even do this with Quicktime Movies really, edit a piece and export individual clips with Timecode to separate QT movies?

I guess I don't understand why you need to separate clips, but, there's other ways like marking clips with metadata so people will know what clips to use.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tim McLaughlin
on Dec 11, 2009 at 4:14:27 am

Jeremy - I don't want to edit the clips on the card, I just want to select specific clips to export.

Let's say there's 150 clips on a P2 card image, but I only need to give someone 50 of them.

That is what I want to do - but leave the files in their original P2 (mxf?) format, with the original metadata and timecode, etc. Not a quicktime.

The last time someone gave me clips from PCMS, every clip they gave me was a separate P2 card! If I had been doing this in Avid, I would have shot someone.

So, am I missing something? Can PCMS select individual P2 clips and build a new P2 card image?

Tim McLaughlin

Return to posts index

Paul Brubacher
on Dec 11, 2009 at 2:53:47 am

Not sure why you need a "P2 card image". Using P2CMS just select the clips you want and "EXPORT" not "INGEST" them to a new folder. You can then copy, send, move this folder to what ever media you are going to send them, Hard drive, flash drive, DVD, blue ray ect... Its just data and the meta data stays with the clip.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Dec 11, 2009 at 3:01:22 am

Tim

CS4 Premiere Pro might be able to do this.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Tim McLaughlin
on Dec 11, 2009 at 4:15:38 am

Thanks Paul, I'll give that a shot tomorrow...

Tim McLaughlin

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 11, 2009 at 4:45:44 pm

[Paul Brubacher] "Not sure why you need a "P2 card image". Using P2CMS just select the clips you want and "EXPORT" not "INGEST" them to a new folder."

Brilliant. That's the way.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]