FORUMS: list search recent posts

Settings - Anticipating Broadcast TV

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Billy Morocco
Settings - Anticipating Broadcast TV
on Dec 10, 2009 at 2:24:06 am

Hello all,

First off I have to say thanks to everyone here. Almost a year ago I got asked to do DIT on a HVX shoot. One long night here, and I ended knowing more than anyone else on set the next day.

Now, I am working on a spec documentary to be shopped to Discovery, PBS, Nat Geo...

I put together a pilot shot entirely on SD DV. But I am going to shoot some new footage with HVX.

I know, from reading here (Shane and others), that I will get detailed specs on what formats are required, once the project is accepted.

If the project is accepted, I would probably not be shooting it, and may even be using different cameras. So perhaps I am way, way off,

But most of the stuff I have been shooting with HVX has been in 24pN.

For this project, should I begin shooting in one of the 30-frame modes?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Return to posts index

Jeff Regan
Re: Settings - Anticipating Broadcast TV
on Dec 10, 2009 at 5:07:06 pm

Every network has different standards/specs. 24P should not be a problem as long as your deliverables are either 720/60P or 108060i.

You might be consider lowering your hard clip closer to 100 IRE vs. 109 IRE. Check chroma saturation on a vectorscope, you don't want to be outside of the boxes.

I had an issue with a cable network last year that wanted everything to be shot 4:3 safe, as well as graphics. That is lame, but an example of what can happen dealing with networks. They also wanted D5 or HDCAM SR tapes for submissions.

It really comes down to getting the specs for each network, as Shane told you.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 10, 2009 at 11:41:45 pm

Discovery requires a 1080i29.97 tape. NatGeo also. History can take 1080psf 23.98 if you shot 23.98.

So, if I were you, I'd shoot SD for the pilot...to mix with the other SD footage since it is mostly SD. But then if you get picked up, then shoot 1080p24..at 29.97 if you want the film look. Not 24pA that gets you 23.98. Keep it to 29.97 if you can. Or if you need the space, then 720p24PN I suppose. But you will need a good capture card to cross convert that...and the talent to know how to properly cross convert.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Billy Morocco
on Dec 19, 2009 at 2:48:59 am

Thanks, fellas, for the info.

We shot two sit-down interviews (in a ski gondola!) at 720p24pn. AFter L&T, I exported selected clips, and used Compressor to conform them for my SD sequence.

This worked for the purposes of making an SD DVD.

(Thinking out loud)This worked because the 24pn (23.98) footage was actually "over 60", right?
Looking at the Clip Properties->Format shows "Compressor: DVCPro HD 720p60"

That's the story, isn't it?

Shane, I think I understand your workflow, but before I ask another question I'm going to try some 1080 shooting, which I have not yet done with the HVX.

Thanks again,

Bill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]