FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is everyone using to archive?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
amanda andert
What is everyone using to archive?
on Dec 9, 2009 at 5:40:06 am

Hey I have been put in charge of finding a storage and organization solution for the studio i work at. We are currently shooting on the HVX 200 and then using final cut pro to edit. As of right now we are not utilizing meta data or any sort of organizational system but drives with folders on them. We need something that will be searchable and that can handle project files as well as clips. We also need for all the clips to be online at all times because we are often mixing clips from various projects. I was looking at the constellation system from media distributors but i'm not sure how well this will integrate with other programs or if it might be too much heft for a small studio. Anyone have any suggestions on a system or reviews of constellation?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: What is everyone using to archive?
on Dec 9, 2009 at 5:48:08 pm

I use two bare SATA drives that contain mirrored data. Well, I have EIGHT drives, but basically 4 worth of content. Then I use Excel to log the footage and not what is on each. I really should get FileMaker Pro for that.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 9, 2009 at 8:11:13 pm

Approximately how much footage do you have right now?

This isn't an archive, you want a nearline server.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David Braswell
on Dec 11, 2009 at 4:47:50 pm

Our Avid dealer is keen on this product: CatDV. It looks like it will handle the cataloging and archive functions, as well as allow you to preview proxy footage and read all the metadata associated with P2 files. We're an HVX200 shop as well. Our current offline storage medium is Quantum LTO 3 tape. It's a bit kludgy trying to find a particular B-Roll shot, and unfortunately Panasonic (unlike the Sony XDCam system) don't seem in a hurry to solve archiving/search issues.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 11, 2009 at 5:54:31 pm

CatDV is great. That combined with MXF4mac is very powerful.

We also use LTO 4 to archive, but it's not online. WE have the Cache-A system that allows single file (or card) transfers.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]