FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there a batch MXF converter?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy McWilson
Is there a batch MXF converter?
on Dec 6, 2009 at 11:00:46 pm

I am looking for a solution to batch convert a group of MXF files (inside of proper "CONTENT" folders, etc) into some other high quality format. I deal with such a volume of clips that the P2 architecture of separated audio, video, icons, etc is untenable. I dont mind acquiring this way, but for content management, I prefer to have syncd clips, that have real world names.

Does anyone know of a program to batch this?

Return to posts index

Marcus van Bavel
Re: Is there a batch MXF converter?
on Dec 7, 2009 at 3:01:57 am

DVFilm has 2 products that can do that, DVFilm Maker and Raylight Ultra, both for Windows. Go to dvfilm.com

Return to posts index

Randy McWilson
on Dec 7, 2009 at 3:10:10 am

I just found an excellent, and inexpensive solution.

P2Forge. It allows for batch convert of all MXF files into any other format you have codecs for (mostly). But what I have found more exciting, is that it allows the simple rewrapping of an MXF into a simple AVI file WITH the audio files included. Also, this gives you real thumbnails when viewed in normal windows explorer.

This would appear to be the solution I have been needing. You do lose your metadata, but I usually keep that in an excel spreadsheet anyway.

I understand the structure of the P2 file system, and why it exists, but it is a difficult workflow in terms of sharing clips with other end-users. To be able to select a p2 mxf and then output it as a single clip with audio and thumbnail, with no recompression or quality loss is a real timesaver. There is a lot to be said for everything to be contained in one file, i.e. an AVI.

Eternity...don't miss it for the world.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 7, 2009 at 7:51:30 pm

Are you mostly on PC?

Return to posts index

Randy McWilson
on Dec 15, 2009 at 6:42:37 am

90% PC.

Eternity...don't miss it for the world.

Return to posts index

Jeff Simmons
on Jun 3, 2010 at 7:29:27 am

Do those AVIs work in Vegas? The main reason I was going to get Raylight is because I primarily use Vegas.

Return to posts index

Marcus van Bavel
on Jun 8, 2010 at 5:19:21 pm

Raylight AVI's will work in Vegas. However you will lose your metadata. Since you use Vegas it might be better to use the Raylight Ultra direct import feature and you can drop the MXF files directly into the timeline, plus have the ability to search your media for things like userclip name, scene/take, the day it was shot, etc.
See http://dvfilm.com/raylight/ultra

Return to posts index

Aza Allen
on Nov 4, 2014 at 11:08:25 pm

I am looking to batch export P2 clips as stated in this topic, and noticed the last post was from 2010, are there any updates, newer/better software, plugins for CS6, etc? Or are we still with p2Forge?

I have Premiere/AME CS6 on Win7 x64

My portfolio can be seen at http://www.ruesterprod.com
My personal website is http://www.azaallen.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]