FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPX300 In Snow

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Ober
HPX300 In Snow
on Dec 3, 2009 at 3:29:22 pm

Hello Folks,

We are likely to have a rare event for Houston tomorrow, Snow.

So, should I overnight a rain cover form my HPX300 if I want to shoot while it is falling? The panny one? The big protective covers appear to be cumbersome, but I would like opinions on those as well.

We do get a lot of rain here so I suppose a cover was inevitable.

Thanks,
Robert A. Ober
PS: I am interested in keeping the cam like new.

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
Re: HPX300 In Snow
on Dec 3, 2009 at 11:34:16 pm

So either y'all busy or don't care or I've made ya mad:-)

Anyway, ordered the Portabrace CBA-HPX300 for Friday morning delivery. Figured I would be mad if I dinged up the cam having not bought the cover. Comes with a rain cover that is black on one side and white on the other.

Maybe it won't be too cold for the crazy lady from across the street to hold the white card for me:-)

Have some fun,
Robert

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Dec 4, 2009 at 1:12:36 am

Temporarily you can always use a garbage bag over the camera.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Dec 6, 2009 at 5:06:31 pm

Yeah, that was the backup plan:-)

Return to posts index

Phil Yunker
on Dec 4, 2009 at 1:43:33 am

Snow in Houston? that's interesting
I like the Kata Camera Gloves, as they are not as bulky as the porta brace products.
I would imagine you you would want to keep that cover on all the time to protect the camera from the other elements like rain and dust.

Return to posts index

Dale West
on Dec 4, 2009 at 11:02:23 am

I guess by now Robert is shoveling snow or better yet taking pictures of people shoveling snow. Since no snow has fallen here in Miami since 1972 I thought I'd just toss out my feelings of camera covers. I use rain coats when it rains and polar coats when it cold (bought a porta brace polar coat for an alaska trip) and thats it. My service tech, Roger Macie, told me that camera covers hold in the heat and I have enough heat in Miami already. I've never put a cover on any of my cameras and they all look very good cosmetically. My 11 year old Ikegami looks almost like new. My VariCam and my PDW-530 look good but they were also rented to other operators so they have some ware on them. I've seen some guys put some ratty covers on their cameras and say that the camera is still pristine. I wonder who can tell under that funk they have wrapping it. But seriously the heat issue was enough for me to not use a cover. Some of these babies can fry eggs as it is! I keep my cameras clean. I carry a natural bristle shaving brush in my camera bag and if I have some down time I take it out and brush the camera and and lens. If I do put a strap on the camera I make sure that it is short enough so the rivets on my jeans do not scratch the side of the case. And functionally if I've got to change battery, tape, disk or card or search out a warning message of some kind I don't have to rip velcro to do it and I can see all of the camera indicators without looking through hazed out plastic windows.
Any one wanna buy a Porta Brace Polar Coat for a VariCam?
Good shooting to all

Dale West Video
North Miami, FL
305-892-1201

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Dec 6, 2009 at 5:18:40 pm

Thanks Dale and the others who replied.

I am not that good at keeping from accidentally banging stuff together. The Portabrace did it's thing on Friday. The raincover keep the cam dry. An added benefit is that the CBA-HPX300 has a pouch at the rear that works good for my small wireless receiver. The drop-in is too expensive for a part-time shooter. I will take note of the heat and remove the CBA if it seems the cam is getting fried.

Unfortunately in my area not much snow stuck. South of me it snowed harder and accumulated nicely.

Hope your Sunday or whatever goes well,
Robert

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]