FORUMS: list search recent posts

Big mistake - Panasonic 30pN woes

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Montgomery
Big mistake - Panasonic 30pN woes
on Nov 23, 2009 at 10:27:11 am

Okay, so last night shot a music video with two cameras: an HVX set to 720 30pN (I now realize I made the mistake of not setting the framerate myself to 30, assuming that it would set itself once the format was set, hindsight = 20/20, instead it remained set at 24fps) and an EX-1 set to 720p30.

Now I'm in Final Cut, slightly irritated with myself because I now have clips from Cam1 at 23.98fps and Cam2 at 29.97fps.

These videos are bound for the internet and possibly broadcast. Is the easy fix here to throw the EX1 clips into Compressor, convert them to 24fps so that everything can get along in the timeline?

It only becomes a problem because I noticed that the HVX clips are the correct duration but appear to play back at a faster speed on the 30fps timeline.

Oh, and to make things even better, I also discovered after the fact that the HVX, since it was overcranking the footage, did not record audio. All the more fun!

Cinematographer / Editor
Synn Studios Inc.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Montgomery
Re: Big mistake - Panasonic 30pN woes
on Nov 23, 2009 at 11:23:18 am

Right, so here's what I've decided to do, I'm hoping for the best...

I'm going to re-L&T the HVX footage (essentially undercranked footage, 30p recorded at 24fps) with the "Remove Pulldown and Duplicate Frames" checkbox off. Then, toss the clips onto a 30p timeline in Final Cut, adjust the speed of the clips to correct the undercranked effect. Convert using Compressor to get as-true-as-I-can-get 30p clips, import back into Final Cut and edit with the EX1 footage.

By the way, I feel the need to ask...I've had a LOT of inconveniences with the HVX, a great deal of hassle, whereas the EX1 has treated me fairly nice and we've gotten along very well.

Any FCP editors out there have more troubles with the HVX compared to the EX1?

Cinematographer / Editor
Synn Studios Inc.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 23, 2009 at 7:27:26 pm

your post is a little confusing, did you shoot at 24pN on the HVX or 30p or 30pN, if you shoot 24 or 30pN it are NO duplicate frames to remove, that setting is for standard p recording with add a 2:3 pulldown to 24p and double 30p, 24pN has only the 24 frames.

The HVX always gives me what I set it to give me. With more options you get more chances for errors so you need to be on your game more.

BUT for fixing your problem, you need to do tests but I would add the pulldown into the 24p footage from the HVX to match the 30p of the EX1, you normally get cleaner results (and quicker) than retiming 30p down to 24p. But if you go from 30 down to 24 you need to turn on Frame Controls in Compressor or use a program like Shake, Magic Bullet Frames or similar.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 23, 2009 at 7:34:42 pm

I'd edit in a 720p60 timeline. The proper pulldown will get added to both sets of footage.

That way you can also mix and match the 24 and 30 frame time bases.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Paluzzi
on Nov 26, 2009 at 2:54:34 am

Nicholas, can you let me know what solution you ended up using. I am having the same issue...we had a 3 cam shoot and the cams were set to 720/30PN, but one of them was in "film" mode which I guess recorded it at 23.98. Like you said, the footage plays fast when loaded into FCP and I can't seem to find any setting to get it normal speed. Thanks!

HPX-2000 w/AVC board
P2 Mobile with AVC board
MBP 10.5

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Nov 28, 2009 at 6:31:07 pm

More people should become more familiar with the frame rate controls and scene files because trying to fix this would be a nightmare. Read the Barry Green book.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Nicholas Montgomery
on Dec 4, 2009 at 6:50:57 am

John

Actually, as I was busy trying to find a solution, my producer pushed me to simply change the speed of the footage, he got concerned with the time spent on it and in his mind "didn't see a difference".

Of course, I wasn't satisfied with this at all, and there is definitely a difference between the 2 sources, but c'est la vie. I'm going to give the suggestions offered above a try, just so I know for future reference...although now I don't plan on making that mistake again anytime soon.

Cinematographer / Editor
Synn Studios Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]