FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Settings For a Narrative with the HPX170

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Sonnenfeld
Best Settings For a Narrative with the HPX170
on Nov 21, 2009 at 9:22:56 pm

Hey Fellow Cow Users,

So I'm planning a narrative short film for the Columbia Universtiy National Undergraduate Film Festival (CUNUFF) and the Ivy FIlm Festival, and I'm trying to figure out the best settings that I could use on my HPX170.

So far I've been setting it to Cine-Like D (I Believe) and using the Cine Gamma curves. Lately though I just haven't been too wowed by them and haven't seen what I'm really looking for (unless I'm misusing them?). I was watching a few videos on the Vimeo channel and I saw some things that looked really fantastic and I'm not sure how to get that type of footage. I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I really want something that will make my colors pop and have good contrast and a warm tone, but within those limits I just need it to look real and natural.

Can anyone help me out here and maybe give me some settings suggestions that I could work with and test before I start shooting?

Just as a quick afterthought too, could anyone give me any low light advice while avoiding gain at all costs?

Thanks!

Best,
Matt

Panasonic HPX170 P
Unibody Macbook Pro 15 inch, 2.8 Ghz, 4GB RAM
Final Cut Pro Studio 2
Avid Media Composer
The College of WIlliam and Mary

Return to posts index

Jeff Regan
Re: Best Settings For a Narrative with the HPX170
on Nov 21, 2009 at 10:01:06 pm

Cinelike V gamma will give more contrast. You can always bring up Chroma Level for more saturation. Lower master ped for a richer, more saturated look as well. It all depends on how much grading and color correction you plan to do in post. I shoot Cinelike D most often with HPX170 and HDX900 and add contrast and saturation in post. You can warm by white balancing with a colder white reference or use Color Temp control.

Recommend Coring at +2 or higher, no matter what detail level to keep noise under control.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Nov 21, 2009 at 10:22:31 pm

It sounds to me like most of the clips you are liking have probably had some pretty extensive color correction. How good are you with color correction and Magic Bullet?

I shoot BPress because it has less noise than either of the CineLike modes. The idea is generally to shoot a "flat negative" and tweak the images with FCP's three way or with Color and really make them sing.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Nov 21, 2009 at 10:29:00 pm

Those suggestions sound really interesting. Dan, what is Magic Bullet? I'm fairly surprised that I've never heard of it before. I'm pretty good with Final Cut's Tri Color corrector and I'm trying to teach myself Color. By the time I am shooting (early January) I should be reasonably proficient.

Thanks again!
Matt

Panasonic HPX170 P
Unibody Macbook Pro 15 inch, 2.8 Ghz, 4GB RAM
Final Cut Pro Studio 2
Avid Media Composer
The College of WIlliam and Mary

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Nov 22, 2009 at 2:20:03 am

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/host-applications/apple-final-cut-...

Enjoy! But remember that stuff like Magic Bullet is best when it is subtle.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 25, 2009 at 7:54:49 pm

Matthew, if you don't have it, get Barry Green's book on the camera. It is a must have and really gets into the whys as well as the hows.

I have gotten away from the cine gammas also for less gain in the image. You can put that gamma look in post but you can't remove the noise.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]