FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why shoot with AVC-INTRA 100 if the Blu-ray just plays 36mbit/s?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gustavo Cavalcanti
Why shoot with AVC-INTRA 100 if the Blu-ray just plays 36mbit/s?
on Nov 15, 2009 at 4:01:09 pm

Hi,
just a interesting question, not a problem. Could be a stupid question but i really don't understand about. I was looking for this information but did't found it any were.

If I'm gonna shoot some content to play in a Blu-ray (36mbits) with the Pana HPX-300 AVC-INTRA 100 mbits, what will be the difference from a camera that just made 40 mbits "h.264'' (let's take out all the lens and ccd size aspects, just talking about compression) if they all are gonna be funneled in the H.264 36 mbits Blu Ray format?

Best

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Why shoot with AVC-INTRA 100 if the Blu-ray just plays 36mbit/s?
on Nov 15, 2009 at 8:02:23 pm

Why shoot IMAX or 35mm for DVD standard definition release? The higher quality the incoming source the better the final output will look, no matter how much downsampling has to occur. Otherwise Hollywood movies would have been shot on SD VHS all these years and saved a ton of cash.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 16, 2009 at 3:10:48 am

[Noah Kadner] "Otherwise Hollywood movies would have been shot on SD VHS all these years and saved a ton of cash. "

And played in the theatres that way? The main destination of these wasn't planned as DVD, but as played on the big screen.

BUT...your arguement is still sound...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 16, 2009 at 3:21:09 am

True kinda weak analogy- maybe I shoulda said for broadcast TV series up until HD broadcasts took over.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci S.O.A.
on Nov 16, 2009 at 2:27:35 am

-Compositing
-FX Work
-Color Grading
and so on....garbage in, garbage out.

Emre Tufekci
http://www.productionpit.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Regan
on Nov 16, 2009 at 5:44:41 am

There's more to a codec than bit rate. By the way, when shooting 720/24P Native mode in DVCPRO HD or AVC-Intra 100, the bit rate is only 40Mbps, not 100Mbps. What AVC-Intra offers is 10-bit color depth, 4:2:2 color space, and I-Frame structure. Much better for editing, grading and color correction than any consumer delivery format.

Blu Ray is a delivery media using codecs that are often well under 36Mbps, 8-bit, 4:2:0, Long GOP--not what you want for an acquisition format, given a choice, compared to AVC-Intra 100.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Return to posts index

Gustavo Cavalcanti
on Nov 16, 2009 at 4:14:13 pm

Tanks Jeff and you all,
your explanation was good. So look like the actually cameras have overcome by far the quality of the broadcast and media players exhibition format.
Tanks you all,
Gustavo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]