FORUMS: list search recent posts

720P24 for broadcast

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerret Warner
720P24 for broadcast
on Nov 9, 2009 at 6:25:32 pm

I have an upcoming shoot for which clips will need to be uploaded for broadcast news. Any tips on format? My usual format is 720P24N.

Once I shoot can I upload to a station using DVCPro codec or do they require something else?

According to what I've read different networks want different formats...1080 or 720.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: 720P24 for broadcast
on Nov 9, 2009 at 7:02:31 pm

I would ask these exact questions to whoever is going to accept your footage.

I wouldn't shoot 24p for news.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 9, 2009 at 7:19:59 pm

Ditto to what Jeremy says. Always ask the people you are working for, or will be supplying to, what they want. THey know better than we do.

And 24PN is not for broadcast...what Jeremy said.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 9, 2009 at 10:33:52 pm

I echo Shane and Jeremy's comments on asking about delivery standards, plus the comment on 24PN -- it's a right royal pain to work with. Don't do it. It's news. 29.97 interlaced frames is traditional, and it very well may be required. Either than or 59.94p.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 9, 2009 at 11:57:58 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "-- it's a right royal pain to work with."

I totally and completely disagree for anything but news. Don't shoot news with it, but it's not a pain to work with, in my opinion.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
on Nov 11, 2009 at 4:05:33 pm

Jeremy's right about 720PN. I've been using it for a year for DVD and web output, and it's wonderful. I saved lots of P2 space and images look great.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 11, 2009 at 4:17:36 pm

Oh, I agree, too! A 24pn workflow is just the ticket in many, many instances. It's certainly fine...

...but it's just not fine for broadcast news. Too many hoops to jump through on a tight deadline. Looks funny when compared to other news footage, too.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
on Nov 22, 2009 at 10:10:12 am

Thanks everyone. Having run some further tests, it looks as if the latest Compressor will allow me to output a wide variety of codecs and frame sizes... even frame rates. I'm surprised at how good--for instance-- 1080i/60 looks when converted from my 720p/24N footage.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]