FORUMS: list search recent posts

JEREMY...Have a Question on your P2 CMS Training Video

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Jordan
JEREMY...Have a Question on your P2 CMS Training Video
on Nov 9, 2009 at 1:25:54 pm

Hey Jeremy,

Watched your blog video about P2 CMS that you posted in May. Nice work. Thx.

So I tried to copy your workflow. I have CMS 1.4.4, and the DFX encoder plugin and Intra converter (all 3 pieces from Panasonic) and my Intra clips came into CMS just fine. Changing meta data etc.

But, when I do back to my resident folder on my HD as you showed and right click the folder containing clips, and go down to the bottom where it says "more" I don't have the options there that you did on your video to con't the process of getting these into FCP.

I'm currently using FCP 7 BTW. I was thinking also since you made this video in May, maybe somethings have changed in FCP 7.

I'm just trying to accomplish 2 things:
1) Bypass the Log & Transfer process which takes more time and larger files...
2) Work on native mxf files and start building a library of all the meta data

Any suggestions...

Dual Core, 3GHz, OS 10.5.6, 16GB Ram, 2 TB internal HD, ATI Radeon X1900 Graphics Card, 4TB External Raid, FCP Studio 7, AE 9.0.2, Squeeze for the Web, MacBook Pro (MBP) 2.6 GHz, Dual Core, 10.5.7, Panasonic HPX300 Camera.
The entire Adobe Creative Suite 4, Design Premium.
Owner of Full Graphics Design Firm Houston, Tx 19 yrs.
Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: JEREMY...Have a Question on your P2 CMS Training Video
on Nov 9, 2009 at 6:20:25 pm

[Martin Jordan] "and go down to the bottom where it says "more" I don't have the options there that you did on your video to con't the process of getting these into FCP."

That's because you need to buy the MXF Import component from MXF4mac. http://mxf4mac.com/mxf-import

That's the key to using native MXF files in FCP.

[Martin Jordan] "I'm currently using FCP 7 BTW. I was thinking also since you made this video in May, maybe somethings have changed in FCP 7."

This process does not come native to FCP, it is a separate piece of software.

I suggest also checking out P2 Flow if you are going to buy the MXF4mac Import component. It is a very comprehensive metadata editor that really helps you get organized and also has a few different options to get the media in to FCP.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on Nov 9, 2009 at 6:57:14 pm

Apparently there are many different pkgs. available.

Is this what I need to get?

MXF Import QT
http://mxf4mac.com/mxf-import

Dual Core, 3GHz, OS 10.5.6, 16GB Ram, 2 TB internal HD, ATI Radeon X1900 Graphics Card, 4TB External Raid, FCP Studio 7, AE 9.0.2, Squeeze for the Web, MacBook Pro (MBP) 2.6 GHz, Dual Core, 10.5.7, Panasonic HPX300 Camera.
Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 9, 2009 at 7:01:26 pm

[Martin Jordan] "Is this what I need to get?"

I would buy the package of P2 Flow and MXF Import. It's called the 'P2 Flow Bundle'. it allow the most flexibility.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on Nov 9, 2009 at 7:31:11 pm

Jeremy,

I have another dilema that's come up.

I have read all the posts on COW about Snow Leopard. Panny hasn't developed a P2 Driver for snow. I want to buy a new 8 core box but it comes with snow 10.6 and you can't go backwards to 10.5+.

I also am going to buy a Sonnet Qio which is compatible w/snow.

My dilema is everyone is reccomending to stay w/10.5+ but I can't avoid it with a new box.

So...w/sno 10.6, I'll be able to get the clips off the P2 cards using Qio. Then I can get the MXF Import software you suggested and do all the magic there. Then take then into FCP 7.

Does that workflow sound to you like it works?

Wow what a hassle!!!!!

Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 9, 2009 at 7:40:00 pm

The MXF component is ready, but P2 Flow is not. They are working very hard to get it updated, but it is a time consuming process due to the sheer amount of changes that happened in the update.

I would still buy them both, as P2 Flow is a joy.

Also, you could always install 10.5 on the new box. I have yet to make the jump to 10.6 due to the P2 incompatibility at this time.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on Nov 9, 2009 at 8:01:58 pm

As I said above, I just talked to Apple's development team and they said that the new 8 core boxes ship w/10.6 and CANNOT go back to 10.5 anything.

So it's snow or nothing with new boxes shipping now.

So does my work flow above work even if only the MXF component is ready? I mean I don't want to shell out 11 or 12k and find out I can't even get these clips into FCP?

comments...

Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 9, 2009 at 8:09:46 pm

P2 works.

The MXF4mac component works.

Panasonic Card reader products are incompatible.

Qio is unreleased, so who knows if it works (although I really hope it does).

P2 Flow is NOT compatible, but should be soon.

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on Nov 9, 2009 at 8:20:01 pm

I talked to Sonnet this morning and they said it is releasing and it is compatible w/snow.

I'm still trying to get your opinion of my plan before I buy this new apple box. I need to run this by someone who can look at it with a different pair of eyes.

Let's say the Qio works like they say it does on 10.6. With 10.6, I'll be able to get the clips off the P2 cards using Qio. Then I can get the MXF Import software you suggested just the one piece works right now and do all the magic there. Then take then into FCP 7.

And...what do you mean when you say "P2 Flow is NOT compatible, but should be soon."

Is that the part of mxf4mac you're talking about?

Is there anyway I could talk to you on the phone for a few minutes?

Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 9, 2009 at 8:29:59 pm

[Martin Jordan] "With 10.6, I'll be able to get the clips off the P2 cards using Qio. Then I can get the MXF Import software you suggested just the one piece works right now and do all the magic there. Then take then into FCP 7."

How are you going to edit the metadata? P2 Flow does not work with Snow, either does P2CMS from Panasonic.

You can offload the clips from the Qio, yes. You can take the MXf files in to FCP and use the MXF Import component from MXF4mac, yes. You cannot use P2CMS or P2 Flow to edit the metadata in Snow. Log and transfer will also work.

[Martin Jordan] "And...what do you mean when you say "P2 Flow is NOT compatible, but should be soon.""

If you are going to spend the money and buy MXF4mac, I recommend getting the P2 Flow bundle as I said earlier. If you shoot a lot of P2, you will see it's value instantly. P2 Flow is still waiting on a few of it's items to be Snow Leopard compatible. Those items should be available soon.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on Nov 9, 2009 at 8:30:35 pm

Never mind.

Qio is due to release mid-dec.

So I guess my only option at this point is hook up the camera to the workstation.
https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/desk/e/update.htm#p2_mac

Thanks for all your time Jeremy.

Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 9, 2009 at 8:35:52 pm

Yes, I have noticed the Qio keeps getting pushed back. It was October, then November, and now it's December. Until it's in our hands, we won't know if it will work, but I am hoping for the best with it.

[Martin Jordan] "So I guess my only option at this point is hook up the camera to the workstation."

Via USB, yes. Not via firewire. the PCD20 and PCD35 also work via USB on Snow.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on Nov 9, 2009 at 8:47:05 pm

What's the difference between these 2 units except 1 150.00 bucks. I'm at B & H and I don't see any difference.

So....if these 2 units work that means they don't need the P2 driver for snow. Right?

Because Panny doesn't have a P2 driver for snow.

So you just hook it up USB2 connection and the cards mount?

Do these units work with a MBP also for field work?

Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on Nov 9, 2009 at 9:02:32 pm

The reason I'm saying this about your answer:
Via USB, yes. Not via firewire. the PCD20 and PCD35 also work via USB on Snow.

Is because this is what Panasonic has on their PASS website:
When using a P2 card on Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) , please use a P2 camera, recorder or P2 drive equiped with USB2.

2.For the followng drivers/software, upgrade are being planned to support the Mac OS 10.6.
- IEEE1394b driver for AJ-PCD20 series
- PCI express(PCIe) driver for AJ-PCD35 series
- P2card formatter for Mac
- P2 Contents management software (P2CMS) for Mac

That sound like even those 2 devices don't work.

Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 9, 2009 at 9:30:57 pm

[Martin Jordan] "That sound like even those 2 devices don't work."

Read carefully, they do via USB2 which is slower than either FW800 or PCIExpress.

the PCD20 has a fw800 and a USB2 port. You need to install the P2PCCard drivers from Panasonic, then it will work.

What won't work is the PCD20 or PCD35 drivers with Snow.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on Nov 9, 2009 at 9:47:46 pm

I feel like such a dunce. Not only trying to figure this all out but finding it all.

Do these—P2PCCard drivers from Panasonic—come with the unit or are they on the PASS website.? Cause I don't see those drivers anywhere here unless they have a different name or something.
https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/desk/e/update.htm#p2_mac

I mean I see the 1394b Driver but it's not compatible w/snow. I must not be looking in the right place. Could you point me to where it is?

Sorry if I've been a pain today. Still learning.

You've been great and PATIENT.

Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 9, 2009 at 10:39:43 pm

The P2PCCard package comes with the Mac download package. Just download the mac drivers, unzip it, and you will see it.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on Nov 9, 2009 at 11:44:30 pm

Where do I find the Mac download package then?

Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 9, 2009 at 11:57:05 pm

First place is http://www.panasonic.com/p2hd

Once you navigate around to where you need (P2 Support) you will be taken to this page:

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/cs/csregistp2m/ep2main/pcdr...

Then all you have to do is follow the appropriate links.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]