FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best slow-mo settings shooting 720p

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Smith
Best slow-mo settings shooting 720p
on Nov 7, 2009 at 7:51:44 am

I have a shoot this weekend where I will want some slow-motion shots and I'm trying to select my workflow.

I'll be shooting 720p on my HPX-500, so I can shoot 720pN24 at 60fps for built-in slow motion, or I can shoot 720p60 and conform to 24p later. Anybody have good reasons why one or the other is better quality?

This is a live event and I may only have the opportunity to shoot some things once, so shooting 720p60 would seem to give me more flexibility in post - allowing me to drop frames down to 24p or conform to 24p for slow motion. A drawback to this approach (besides the extra post time) is I'll be seeing a fluid 60p image and I'll have to remember to keep moves slow to avoid judder issues that I can't see (yet).

In this case, would I want to set the shutter to 1/48, since I intend to use everything at 24p?

Of course, I'll have a lot more run time shooting 720pN24 - but I'll have to set up a scene file to switch to slow motion and make those decisions on the fly, and anything I later wish was slow motion will have to be done in software.

Honestly I can do this either way, so once again, is there a perceived or proven quality difference between the two?

Thanks much!

-Adam

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Best slow-mo settings shooting 720p
on Nov 7, 2009 at 9:27:10 pm

[Adam Smith] "I'll be shooting 720p on my HPX-500, so I can shoot 720pN24 at 60fps for built-in slow motion, or I can shoot 720p60 and conform to 24p later. Anybody have good reasons why one or the other is better quality? "

Neither is better quality. Both are equal.

I have done both and like the shooting 720p60 so that I can have the choice of slow motion or regular speed.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
on Nov 8, 2009 at 3:35:56 am

Thanks Shane - what about shutter speed? Does 1/48 make sense if you're shooting 60p but intending to use 24p?

-Adam

- - -

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 8, 2009 at 3:57:44 am

Well, I'm not sure. I'm more of a post guy. I had the camera for a while but I don't recall what settings are best.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
on Nov 8, 2009 at 4:39:31 am

Ok cool... thanks much!

- - -

Return to posts index

Douglas Villalba
on Nov 25, 2009 at 6:15:32 pm

I have it stet it to 180 degrees
If you shoot 24p =1/48th sec. At 60p =1/120

Douglas Villalba

http://www.advertising-villa.com

info@dvtvproductions.com

G5 QUAD 4.5 GB RAM, Decklink HD Extreme, HVX200, FX1, A1 & HV20. Letus Extreme 35 mm adaptor, Rails, GlideCam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]