FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ingesting DVCPRO HD as Pro Res 422 In FCP

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
paul colin
Ingesting DVCPRO HD as Pro Res 422 In FCP
on Nov 5, 2009 at 4:24:39 pm

To all,
I would like to ingest DVCPRO HD footage from P2 cards from a panasonic card reader(over USB 2)into FINAL CUT PRO directly as PRO RES 422. Is there plug in for this? Can this be done?
I'm using FCP 6.06.
Thanks for your help,
Best,
Paul Colin,
Cezanne Studio, NYC

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Ingesting DVCPRO HD as Pro Res 422 In FCP
on Nov 5, 2009 at 6:15:02 pm

You will have to ingest as DVCPro HD and then use Compressor to transcode to ProRes.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

paul colin
on Nov 5, 2009 at 6:27:01 pm

Thanks Jeremy,
As I feared it can't be done directly.
However I do have a Kona 3 card. Is there any way to convert
the output of the P2 reader to HD SDI? Probably not, but I thought I'd ask anyways.
Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 5, 2009 at 7:06:00 pm

You would need a P2 camera or the HPG-20 with SDI out to play your footage from.

No way to do it from a P2 reader.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

paul colin
on Nov 5, 2009 at 7:15:19 pm

Thanks Steve.
I suppose I could use my HPX 500 to ingest from.
Best,
Paul

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 5, 2009 at 9:52:59 pm

You could capture it is as video, yes, but that pretty much negates the tapeless workflow.

What are you trying to do?

Return to posts index

paul colin
on Nov 5, 2009 at 10:18:47 pm

Jeremy,
I'm doing a very short show with footage from various sources, in addition to the HPX500. So my thought was to cut the whole thing in Pro Res 422, which I find preferable than converting everything to DVCPro HD. But perhaps my thinking is flawed.
Thanks,
Paul

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 5, 2009 at 10:45:34 pm

Just bring in the DVCPROHD as DVCPROHD. Cut the additional footage in the same timeline. When you're done export everything as ProRes. Unless you capture say to an AJA IO HD to ProRes live as you're shooting from the component output of your camera, you gain zero from converting already shot footage from DVCPROHD to ProRes.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

paul colin
on Nov 5, 2009 at 11:30:17 pm

Thanks Noah...
Keep it simple. Should always remember that!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 6, 2009 at 3:51:21 pm

[paul colin] "But perhaps my thinking is flawed."

No, but it won't gain you much to transcode it all. Just work in a ProRes timeline to add all the rest of your footage, and just plop in the DVCPro HD files in that timeline and edit. Not a big deal.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

paul colin
on Nov 6, 2009 at 4:06:04 pm

Thanks Jeremy,
That's what I have done. BUT I was a having problems with the dropped frames warning every few seconds. That shouldn't be as my media drive is a hefty 4 TB Cal Digit HD pro that I keep well maintained w/Disk Warrior.
So my thinking was that the Pro Res timeline wasn't liking the DVC Pro footage, ergo the stalls.
Perhaps that was coincidental with some other issue. There were no effects/color correx or anything else added on the footage.
Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 6, 2009 at 5:39:09 pm

[paul colin] "That's what I have done. BUT I was a having problems with the dropped frames warning every few seconds."

If your disk is running fast, then you shouldn't be getting those warnings. Using the AJA system test, how fast is your drive running?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 6, 2009 at 8:05:16 pm

ProRes HQ can choke a slower drive but regular ProRes should be ok...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

peter tours
on Nov 7, 2009 at 3:14:02 am

Isn't it possible to use the pulldown menu in the upper right of the Log and Transfer window and specify ProRes(s) in preferences?

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 7, 2009 at 3:52:02 am

Not with DVCPROHD as far as I know.

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]