FORUMS: list search recent posts

No more support for Duel Adaptor?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Nosaty
No more support for Duel Adaptor?
on Oct 18, 2009 at 5:49:57 pm

Maybe I'm behind the times and everyone has heard this already but I just received an email from the support desk at Duel Systems telling me they will no longer have support for OSX. That leaves me with three option for P2 offload in the field:

1. Keep a laptop with OSX 10.5 and continue using my Duel adaptor.
2. Buy a PC laptop (yuck)
3. Use my P2 Store or buy some other expensive, bulky and slow USB based Panasonic device.

Has anyone heard of other P2 reading option?

cheers,
Greg Nosaty

Cinemontage Productions Inc

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: No more support for Duel Adaptor?
on Oct 18, 2009 at 9:10:41 pm

Sonnet Qio

Return to posts index

Greg Nosaty
on Oct 18, 2009 at 9:55:15 pm

Sweet. I even have Sonnet eSATA cards and adapters in all my Macs already!

Thanks Jeremy

cheers,
Greg Nosaty

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 18, 2009 at 11:25:16 pm

I would add a 1B) Keep OS10.5 on a small external hard drive boot from it in the field. I have a USB/FW that I do this with so the drive is connected via USB, then I have a FW800 for offloading media and the Duel in the Express34 slot. It is a kind of a pain but it works, it is available now, it is cheap. This way my laptop has 10.6 for the main OS.

Return to posts index

Greg Nosaty
on Oct 19, 2009 at 12:58:59 am

Thanks Michael, that's a great solution. Not only for the P2 field machine but I can also use the boot drive on all my other systems when I discover more grief with OSX 10.6!

I'm also considering the Sonnet Qio for field and edit suite use because the eSATA connection will dramatically speed up transfers of P2 and Compact Flash cards from my 5D mark II.

cheers,
Greg Nosaty

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 19, 2009 at 1:40:24 am

I see nothing wrong with sticking to OSX 10.5. Snow Leopard doesn't do anything for you. FCP doesn't benefit from it, nor ANY of the proapps. All that happens is that it stops certain hardware and software from working.

Stick to Leopard.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Oct 19, 2009 at 2:39:24 pm

I don't know about anyone else but when I switched from Tiger to Leopard, my Duel seemed to work okay. Now, it has basically come close to not working for some reason. I am still on 10.5.8, have not upgraded to Snow and have no intention of doing so but the Duel has come to a halt on my MBP. It only works sporadically so I have had to resort to using my wife's old G4 PB.

Good idea about having a boot FW drive only I think I will go back to Tiger on it. This whole Duel/P2 thing is ridiculous, I may just give in and do what Barry Green says to do, but a $350.00 PC laptop just for dumping P2 cards.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Miodrag Ristic
on Oct 22, 2009 at 3:36:30 am

Why not use firestore FS-100 (160 GB model only $999 at Vdeoguys.com).
I know it can be dicy, most problems occurred (with my FS-4) with firewire cable detaching from
my Canon's firewire port.
But with HPX170, I'd use it on camera, and with camera's 6 pin firewire port I don't
think it'd be too much trouble.

So, financially, it's just like another 64 GB P2 card, but additional benefit of having a back up plus
Firestore records it in QuickTime file, so no need for expensive additional equipment (Duel, PC's, laptops, P2 Stores etc.).

If Firestore misfires occasionally, you still have your footage on your P2 card(s) and for those
rare occasions you can always import footage via camera.

Mio

http://www.digitalvideovault.com.au

Return to posts index

Chris Lynch
on Oct 27, 2009 at 7:16:01 pm

Or you could buy some 80gig firewire drives and let the camera host them and do a verified copy to the drives. computergeeks.com was blowing them out in magnesum cases (Smart firelite)for 29 bucks each. You have to find a powersupply but they work great I now have enough storage to shoot HD all day and never have to crack open a laptop.

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Oct 28, 2009 at 4:23:38 pm

Chris, are you recording directly to firewire drives using HOST mode??/

otherwise your not shooting all day cause half of the day you have your camera docked to firewire drive for a download...

FCP, Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, HPX500, HVX200, Betacam, Dvcam
Write for the Edit, Shoot for the Edit, Edit.....KISS Principle

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]