FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting to the bottom of the PN mode.

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Francombe
Getting to the bottom of the PN mode.
on Oct 6, 2009 at 7:57:59 am

Hi,

We´ve been using Panasonic HVX200 for a few years now, and only now want to get to the bottom of the PN mode... The manual is extremely awful, and really doesn't explain for us what we need to know.

So, N means native right, as in the frame rate that the camera ACTUALLY records at, translating ther-after to other frame-rates and modes.

So its really shooting 50 frames per second right?

So setting a frame rate "In Camera" is just setting PLAYBACK SPEED...(oh and setting the speed that audio is recorded at???) in reality exactly the same amount of frames are recorded? Am I right..? im guessing here...

Therefore.. if I change the speed of the footage in FCP, (obviously no slower than 50fps) am I getting genuine slo-mo?

Or am I completely WRONG???

I am not bothered about interlaced or TV. All my end results are for Web or CD-Rom. SO.. final exports from FCB are 25fps progressive.

Can someone please clear this up for me once and for all?

Is it worth shooting in pN mode (considering its twice the disk space as regular p mode) so that I may have the choice of slowing my footage down at the editting stage. OR... should I continue to decide "on set" which shot are "slo-mo" and make the relevant in camera settings

Cheers

Mark

Mark Francombe

Boss Creative
Transform

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Getting to the bottom of the PN mode.
on Oct 6, 2009 at 1:48:10 pm

You have it backwards. In your case you'd shoot 25pN to save twice the disk space and edit in a 25p timeline. You have to set the cameras frame rate to default so you are shooting 25 over 25 instead of 50 over 25 which would be over cranking and creating slow motion images. The manual goes over this pretty well.

Simply, yes, shoot 25pN. You will get twice the record time and edit in a 25p timeline. Make sense?

Return to posts index

Mark Francombe
on Oct 7, 2009 at 1:16:54 pm

Simply, yes, shoot 25pN. You will get twice the record time and edit in a 25p timeline. Make sense?

Er.. no, not quite!!

:-)

So whats 25p then? whats the difference between p and pn?

Mark

Mark Francombe

Boss Creative
Transform

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 7, 2009 at 3:39:07 pm

Shooting in 25p mode means that you are recording 25p over 50, so you will have 2:2 pulldown in your footage (meaning every frame is doubled to make a 50p stream). SHooting 25pN gives you the same look as shooting 25 over 50, but it takes up half the space on the recording medium becuase you aren't recording the redundant frames.

Make more sense?

So, 25pN means you edit in a 25p timeline, 25p means you edit in a 50p timeline and the footage has 2:2 pulldown.

SHoot two tests of the same thing of something moving (like one of those dancing flowers or a metronome or something) then look at both of the shots frame by frame. 25pN will be one frame right after another (frame 1, frame 2, etc), 25p will be frame 1 frame 1, frame 2 frame 2, etc.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Blankenship
on Oct 13, 2009 at 8:01:22 am

Mark,

Even though Jeremy's answers cover it, I get the impression they're not the simple explanation that I think you want -- so, here's the simple version:

The camera normally shoots 50 frames per second and flags which frames to play back.

If you were shooting interlaced it would play them all back, since in interlaced mode it takes two fields to make up each frame. If you were shooting progressive, it would play back every other frame since each frame is complete unto itself. In 25PN mode, the camera only records the 25 flagged frames to the P2 card, therefore you get twice the space.

I hope this helps.

John B.

Return to posts index

Mark Francombe
on Oct 13, 2009 at 1:01:02 pm

You are right, that WAS the answer i wanted! Thanks.. all is like crystal now! I was almost exactly completely wrong!

ha ha!

anyway.. some of us shoot great stuff with that camera without knowing the hell what we´re doing...!!!

Thanks John!

Mark

Mark Francombe

Boss Creative
Transform

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 13, 2009 at 3:29:07 pm

Sorry if I confused you.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Levenstone
on May 8, 2012 at 5:40:32 pm

This subject has had me confused for the last two years. Even reading the manual wasn't helping, because in FCP I saw 50fps & 25 Fps. and no matter which I choose to put my 25PN footage it always looks right. But other applications didn't acknowledge that DVCPROHD 25fps exist. Many apps only offer DVCPROHD 50 They (Premiere pro, Autodesk smoke) all only gave the option for 50fps.

So my question is. What happens when I am forced to use a 50fps import sequence settings on 25pn footage?

Thanks in advance,
Jeffrey

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Levenstone
on May 8, 2012 at 5:47:44 pm

I just realize something. FCP under Sequence preset editor - Quicktime video setting. There is only the otion DVCPRO HD 720p50. Does this mean that the footage is being incorrectly rendered?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]