FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 artifacts

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
connie Bottinelli
P2 artifacts
on Oct 5, 2009 at 6:55:50 pm

I'm sweating. Both of my P2 cards (1-16GB and 1-32GB) are recording odd white artifacts all over the frame. On playback, in the HVX200, the entire footage looks like sparkles are over the image. But, when screened on laptop after L&T through FCP, fairly large white artifacts appear every 8 seconds - for about 1 second - but not on all the footage like the camera playback showed.

Shooting 720p-24p 1/48 shutter.

Below is a post of mine from last week. Please tell me that issue is not related to this one. Simplicity is REALLY appreciated - new to shoot/edit/mac.
Connie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

P2 log & transfer crashes Mac OS
by connie Bottinelli on Sep 28, 2009 at 12:38:42 am

Didn't find this in any other posts.

P2 card log and transfer through FCP6, to external hard drive is crashing my macbook pro. All footage shows up and playback is perfect. But while screening clips in the L&T window, the computer crashes. Twice tonight a gray shade descended on my screen telling me to hold down the power button for 4 seconds to shut down. Restart message was, Mac OS X quit unexpectedly.

MacBook Pro, P2 card plugged in with duel adaptor, 1TB G-drive on 400 fire wire, FCP6. (Footage shot on HVX200). I am new to entire system. Any direction would be appreciated.

Connie
PS My background is 25 years as prod/director. First year at shooting/editing/and Mac. Simplicity would be a godsend. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: P2 artifacts
on Oct 5, 2009 at 9:00:32 pm

Sounds like the computer was not happy at all- if that corruption carried over to your shots that were transferred well then yeah you could have clips with bad data- i.e. ruined. That's why it's incredibly important to have a stable transfer system and verify all copies you make from P2 card to hard drive- before re-using a card.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and Panasonic DVX100.
Call Box Training
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

connie Bottinelli
on Oct 5, 2009 at 9:37:26 pm

thanks for the quick response, Noah. I think I left out information in my post.
1) P2 cards with project A
Used dual adaptor to L&T through FCP to external hard drive
Computer crashed with "gray shade" during L&T
Posted on Cow
Advise seemed to correct problem and L&T went fine
Formatted both cards for new shoot
2) Newly formatted P2 cards loaded to begin shooting different project B
Tested a new frame rate by shooting a few scenes
Playback in hvx200 showed sparkles all over every frame
Used P2 reader to L&T through FCP to laptop
Playback through FCP shows large white artifacts every 8 seconds

Sorry for not clarifying what footage was corrupted and when. Any ideas?
Connie

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 5, 2009 at 10:43:48 pm

It's hard to say if that's a previewing problem within FCP or actual corrupted footage- what does it look like in QT Player?

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and Panasonic DVX100.
Call Box Training
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

connie Bottinelli
on Oct 5, 2009 at 11:15:56 pm

Noah,
I won't have access to the footage until Wednesday, but I'll check it out in QT player. I'm not suspicious of FCP because every frame of the footage is covered with those MOVING "sparkles" when I playback right in my hvx-200. I wanted to see if it showed up on a computer so we did the L&T and it was there alright, showing up in FCP playback too, but only every 8 seconds - like a cycle of some sort - not constant like in the camera playback.

I'm thinking it's a Panasonic issue?? Don't know if it's camera or P2 card or is it from my MacBook OS crashing "gray shade" when I was doing L&T with the card in a dual adaptor?? I don't even know what company to call at this point.

Connie

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Oct 6, 2009 at 12:26:09 am

Hello,

The grey screen crash is known as a kernel panic. If the MacBook (Pro?) was OK after that and able to format the P2 card successfully then it is probably not related to the crash. By the way, kernel panics these days are rare. Please make sure you run Software Update and that you have the latest updates. Also check with the Apple website or call Apple to see if there is a firmware update for your machine. I did not see in your earlier post if you are on OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. Some P2 adapters do not have the proper drivers for Snow Leopard.

Having said all that, my guess it is the camera. If you go back to the frame rate you used previously do you still have the distortion in the video? My thinking is that if it occurs playing back in the camera then it is a camera or P2 issue. Try a different frame rate/codec and let us know what happens.

Good Luck,
Robert

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 6, 2009 at 1:54:14 pm

It is best practice to copy the footage off of the cards first to an external hard drive. Once the data has been transferred to this hard drive, then you log and transfer. You shouldn't log and transfer right from the p2 cards. The MXF files are your master files. You wouldn't capture a tape and then throw away the tape, right?

Return to posts index

connie Bottinelli
on Oct 6, 2009 at 10:11:43 pm

Hi Jeremy,
Tell me if this is the proper order:
-- The P2 cards are in a dual adaptor to my MacBookPro
-- The scratch disk is set to my external hard drive
-- L&T through FCP

It's obvious that I'm a novice at this and I appreciate you help in making things crystal clear.
Connie

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 6, 2009 at 10:24:36 pm

[connie Bottinelli] "Tell me if this is the proper order: "

You are forgetting one crucial step.

-Load the card in to the duel
-Make a folder on your scratch disk called Card_01 (or whatever you want it to be named)
-Drag the lastclip.txt file into that folder.
-Drag the CONTENTS folder in to that same folder.
-Eject the p2 card. Open FCP and Log and Transfer. Then point Log and Transfer to that Card_01 folder.

Make sense?

Don't log and transfer straight from the P2 card.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

connie Bottinelli
on Oct 6, 2009 at 10:34:00 pm

Jeremy,
Yes. Makes sense. THANK YOU.
Connie

Return to posts index

connie Bottinelli
on Oct 6, 2009 at 10:38:43 pm

Jeremy,
Is there a way to generate contents folder and last clip file if they are missing, and P2 cards formatted a long time ago? Are you rolling your eyes?
Connie

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 6, 2009 at 10:45:33 pm

[connie Bottinelli] "Is there a way to generate contents folder and last clip file if they are missing"

You mean from the Quicktime's you have now? No, sorry.

[connie Bottinelli] " and P2 cards formatted a long time ago?"

No, sorry, those are gone.

[connie Bottinelli] "Are you rolling your eyes? "

No, you don't know what you don't know. Can't fault you for that. For next time, you know and perhaps do a test before you go out and perform.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

connie Bottinelli
on Oct 6, 2009 at 10:54:07 pm

Jeremy,
Thanks for your patience and knowledge. I find myself in that place of "you don't know what you don't know" often these days. I've just added a slice to "what I know".
Thanks,
Connie

Return to posts index

connie Bottinelli
on Oct 6, 2009 at 10:03:48 pm

Hello Robert,
Yes, I'm using a MacBookPro - under 1 yr old. OS X 10.5.8. Advice on the kernal panic question was answered by Shane on my thread last week. After verify and repair permissions were done, everything was back in working order. (software was already updated) Your comment about these kernal panic situations being rare concerns me. I'll be calling apple about it.

Camera: I did do another test record using the former frame rate and the artifacts were still there. Feeling more like a panasonic problem at this point. I was unsure because when the kernal panics occurred, the P2 cards were mounted on the macbook pro through a dual adaptor.

Thanks for the reply...or any other advice you may have.
Connie

Return to posts index

Chris Cardno
on Oct 7, 2009 at 9:32:41 pm

Connie, we had an issue with kernel panics when using the Duel Adapter with our Macbook Pro bought in January, although we were using Shotput to offload the footage from the cards. The combination of the 4GB of RAM in the computer + Duel Adapter + Shotput appeared to be lethal, so we just decided to keep using the older laptop with 2GB of RAM for all P2 offloads.

Dan from Imagine Products (the makers of Shotput -- fantastic program, by the way) did a lot of work trying to get to the bottom of the issue as it appeared common and came to the conclusion that the Duel Adapter combined with the additional RAM was the culprit. Sure enough our older Macbook with 2GB of RAM works flawlessly with the Duel Adapter and Shotput Pro.

As for the artifacts, sorry, no clue what could be causing that. Are you using the newer E series cards?

Chris Cardno
Visual Edge Productions
Bethesda, MD

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 7, 2009 at 9:44:26 pm

[Chris Cardno] "As for the artifacts, sorry, no clue what could be causing that. "

That can be caused by logging and transferring straight from the cards.

Also, it could be some sort of demo software that is causing playback issues.

Return to posts index

connie Bottinelli
on Oct 7, 2009 at 9:57:50 pm

Hi Chris,
Oh man... more and more layers of what can go wrong huh? The only equipment I have to off load P2 is my macbook pro - purchased about a year ago - 4GB ram - duel adapter - but no shotput. I experienced 3 kernel panics during log & transf before I called apple care. Don't know what alternative I have with only one computer. I'm going to mention your experience to genuis bar tomorrow. Thanks.

Artifacts: I'm using the R "that P2 card costs how much?" series. I tried a tape last night to see if the sparkles were there. Nothing. Perfect footage. Perfect playback. It's only showing up on the P2 cards.

HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THIS HAPPENING???
Connie

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 7, 2009 at 10:05:41 pm

[connie Bottinelli] "but no shotput"

Shotput Pro is $89 software.

Yes, I have heard of it happening, and it was from logging and transferring straight from the P2 cards, instead of transferring the footage first to a hard drive.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

connie Bottinelli
on Oct 8, 2009 at 12:09:11 am

Hey Jeremy,
Any remedy?
Connie

Return to posts index

connie Bottinelli
on Oct 8, 2009 at 12:11:00 am

FYI Jeremy, No demo software involved.

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Oct 8, 2009 at 7:43:01 am

Connie,

If both P2 cards record these white speckles, and you see the artifacts before you even transfer them to a computer (ie, when playing back in camera), that seems to indicate there's a problem with your camera, right? Maybe it's time to have a Panasonic dealer take a look. Or maybe you should try to update the camera's firmware (if possible), which might throw things back into whack.

Sorry you've had a tough time with P2. It's usually a breeze to work with. I used to shoot all the time, and just do a Log and Transfer directly from the cards right into Final Cut. Never had a problem for years. I never used the Duel Adapter--just connected my HVX200 to the Mac via a FireWire cable, and then did a Log and Transfer. This goes against Jeremy's advice of copying the cards to your hard drive first, and then doing a Log and Transfer from there. I agree it's good form, and I now do something similar, but it can also be a pain (you'd essentially make two copies of the footage on your computer--ie, the card copies, and then the QuickTime-wrapper copy that Final Cut creates during the Log and Transfer). Some projects simply didn't warrant the hassle.

Anyway, I would focus your efforts on troubleshooting your camera first. Good luck....

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 8, 2009 at 7:36:01 pm

Artifacts on the footage...that is typically caused by dirt either in the card or in the card slot. Some of the holes on the cards blocked by dirt, or the connectors have dirt. Since small bits of information are allocated to each pin, when a pin or two is dirty, then those sections have artifacts. CLEAN the cards and the camera slots with canned air. Make sure they are clean and dirt free.

Can you rid of the artifacts once they are recorded? Nope, sorry. Cannot. Even if you did the proper P2 backup then import procedure. That is what is recorded on the card. It is like a dirty playhead on a camera...it records that image onto the tape.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

connie Bottinelli
on Oct 8, 2009 at 11:27:02 pm

Shane, I suspected possible dirt from reading a post somewhere yesterday. Can of air. Tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Thanks,
Connie

Return to posts index

connie Bottinelli
on Oct 8, 2009 at 11:30:04 pm

Helmut,
I'm picking up an SD card tomorrow... along with a can of air.

Thanks for the reply.
Connie

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 8, 2009 at 11:32:00 pm

This will only fix FUTURE shoots. The one that you have, is done. Recorded onto the card that way...so nothing to be done.

If you posted a pic I could be sure that was the issue. If it is a video with like 4-8 equally spaced dots of artifacts, I'd know this is the issue.

Shane

Return to posts index

connie Bottinelli
on Oct 8, 2009 at 11:55:18 pm

Thanks for the offer, Shane. Please tell me how to post a frame of it.
Connie

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 9, 2009 at 12:03:35 am

Well, look at the top of the area that you type in. There is B I U...a string of icons. Third from the RIGHT is UPLOAD IMAGE. Click on that.

Shane

Return to posts index

connie Bottinelli
on Oct 11, 2009 at 10:13:34 pm

Shane,

The artifacts appear every 8 seconds for 19 frames.

Just to recap:
- newly formatted cards (with previous perfect video) were recorded on with hvx200 720p 24fps 1/48
- checking footage on playback, through HVX200, showed "snow" over entire footage
- p2 cards were off loaded as mxf files to an external HD
- raw footage was then imported into FCP through L&T
- FCP shows the artifacts appearing as above - every 8 sec for 19 frames - all other parts of footage OK

Connie

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 12, 2009 at 7:41:07 am

Dang...that's bad. I would still suspect a dirty card or connection. Nothing to be done with this footage, but you can clean the connections and shoot some test footage.

I feel for you. I have had some bad hits on tape, and some on P2, but this is pretty bad.

Shane

Return to posts index

connie Bottinelli
on Oct 12, 2009 at 8:28:51 pm

Shane,
So, can I tell you the sinking feeling I got when I read, "Dang...that's bad."

Got a can of compressed air - hit inside the slots from every direction - same on cards - recorded - no change. Going to try it a 3rd time later.

I see that 4.10.00 firmware is the latest for the hvx200. I have 4.06.00. Is that a possible cause? Going to update that tonight.

Would like to try all possibilities before biting the bullet for servicing on something I could have corrected.
Connie

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 12, 2009 at 8:34:14 pm

You blew canned air on this and it STILL records that? Do you have multiple cards to try? If this is still there, I'd think it is time for the Panasonic Service Center.

Shane

Return to posts index

connie Bottinelli
on Oct 12, 2009 at 8:44:59 pm

Yes - canned air on both slots, both cards. But I'm trying it again. Had some shooting in Florida on a baseball field with wind - you know, that red clay on the field? I'm suspicious of dirt, as you suggested. Any hints about the canned air are welcome.

If compressed air and upgrade still record artifacts, my camera goes into the service center.

Thanks for such a prompt reply.
Connie

Return to posts index

connie Bottinelli
on Oct 24, 2009 at 4:56:37 am

Follow up on the artifact problem.

Codec board had to be replaced.

Thanks to everyone who responded.
Connie

Return to posts index

Glenn Wilson
dual adaptor
on Nov 6, 2009 at 4:25:06 am

We have the same problem with the dual adaptor card. Its buggy as hell.

We have to unmount everything in between transfers just to stop the kernel crash and even then it still crashes. Maybe it is the 4GB of ram...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]