FORUMS: list search recent posts

OS-X 10.6 and Snow Leopard

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
OS-X 10.6 and Snow Leopard
on Sep 30, 2009 at 11:30:47 pm

Yes, I read the warning on the Panasonic site about no support for Snow Leopard and Panasonic P2 products. But as of now (9/30/09) all new MACs (I have one here right now) are shipping with OS-X 10.6 installed. So is the only solution to DOWNGRADE to 10.5.8 ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: OS-X 10.6 and Snow Leopard
on Sep 30, 2009 at 11:55:00 pm

Depends on what you need to do with p2. How do they currently get the footage off of the p2 cards?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 1, 2009 at 3:13:11 am

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?display...

AJ-PCD20P
Five Slot P2 Solid-State Memory Drive

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 1, 2009 at 3:31:06 am

Oh, then yup, you're hosed with that unit. Have to use Leopard to transfer over the MXF files. You can then use Snow Leopard to log and transfer. Are they planning to log and transfer or would they prefer a native MXF workflow?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 1, 2009 at 10:50:32 pm

This is the reason I hate these BIG companies. How can Panasonic not acknowlege MAC OS-X 10.6 - how can this not be the # 1 priority for them in their broadcast division. If they acknowlege PC's only - is Sony Vegas their only concern (because I can't believe that Panasonic cares about AVID's Win XP platform). One of the Cow users in Japan needs to go over there with a SHOT GUN, and show them that we mean business !

This whole thing makes me angry. I have seen on other posts on this subject, that Panasonic has just gotten OS-X 10.5 to be stable after all of this time. What the hell are they thinking about ? What is the popular edit format in Japan ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 2, 2009 at 12:53:28 am

Bob says - This whole thing makes me angry.

Yeah, I could see that, but I give them credit for at least announcing that they aren't ready for the Snowing. With talking with smaller and more nimble strictly Mac based developers, Snow Leopard presents a lot of challenges, even though it is basically presented in marketing as a 'bolt on' upgrade.

It's not an excuse, but I am sure in the interest of business, drivers will get written. Sony's in the same boat. We have a laptop with Snow Leopard and it kernel paniced twice today due to the Express34 card not supporting Snow Leopard. Have to get the expensive Sonnet Pro one now, or just wait till developers catch up. By that time, we will be ready for 10.7, or maybe MacOS All The Way To 11. Just look, it took Apple this long to license AVC-I.

Return to posts index

Christopher Wright
on Oct 3, 2009 at 6:22:42 am

Yet another reason to use the Firestore.
No problems whatsoever with Snow Leopard and FCP7.

Dual 2.5 G5, IO, Kona LH, IO, Medea Raid, UL4D, NVidia 6800, 4Gig RAM
Nehalem Octocore 12 GB Ram, Nvidia card, MBP, MXO, MXO2 mini, Windows Vista Adobe Studio CS4, Vegas 9.0, Lightwave 9.6, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 7, Continuum 6, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Oct 3, 2009 at 7:02:01 pm

Bob,
Just so you know, even though Panasonic says the P2 driver doesn't work in Snow Leopard, I installed it anyway and am able to offload data without a hitch from my 5 card reader (a PCD35, instead of your PCD20). I've done many offloads directly from Final Cut 7 or from Shotput Pro and never had a problem...

I *do* notice that my Snow Leopard Mac will fail to wake from sleep since moving to Snow Leopard, and I suspect it has to do with Panasonic's driver.

Another minor problem I've run into on Snow Leopard is that Panasonic's P2 Formatter app (which I use to format my cards and retain the custom names I've given them) sometimes fails when it tries to format a card. If I eject the card and then try it again, it works. But under Leopard, it always worked fine...

So you might try installing the driver and see how things go for you.

I do agree that Panasonic has seemed a little lazy with the Snow Leopard issue. It took two days after Snow Leopard's release for Panasonic to announce that its driver wouldn't work--that should have been announced BEFORE launch, not after. Since Snow Leopard went golden master weeks beforehand, Panasonic certainly had plenty of time to test and make the announcement. Now that the announcement has been made, weeks have gone by without any kind of additional information. It's frustrating. A little communication with people at the right time makes a big difference...

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
on Oct 4, 2009 at 11:02:00 pm

[Helmut Kobler] "I *do* notice that my Snow Leopard Mac will fail to wake from sleep since moving to Snow Leopard, and I suspect it has to do with Panasonic's driver."

I did a clean install of Snow Leopard on a fresh drive, and have not yet installed anything FCP or P2 related and I'm still getting locks on waking from sleep. The screens come up, but no mouse or keyboard and the clock is not flashing.

(Actually I guess I did install AJA LHe drivers - but haven't been in Snow for long enough to say whether that could be the cause of the no-wakey problem)

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

Tom Chartrand
on Oct 5, 2009 at 9:49:29 pm

I get the same thing with Snow Leopard. I get ramdom freezes on sleep wakeup, But I ca't say its P2 related.

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Oct 6, 2009 at 2:00:17 am

Adam,
My sleep issue is that the Mac simply won't wake up at all. The little sleep light continues to pulse despite me trying to wake up the machine.

My Snow Leopard experience has been very disappointing. Some great P2-related software from the MXF4Mac guys just don't work in SL. The P2 driver is iffy. My BlackMagic Decklink SDI drivers don't work properly when using AVC-Intra-originated footage (I get all sorts of interference during playback). The QuickTime X Player is horrible. They got rid of the JKL controls in the Player, as well as QuickTime Pro's editing features. Yes, you can still run the QuickTime 7 player to do that, but there's no way to globally tell Snow Leopard to open all QuickTime movies in QuickTime 7 instead of QuickTime X, so new movies I acquire are constantly opening in QT X. Additionally, Snow Leopard has introduced an annoying bug in Spaces that prevents it from switching from one app to another when they're in different spaces. And yet, none of my apps take advantage of Snow Leopard's features, so I get no performance benefit.

I'm going back to Leopard as soon as I get a little time...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]