FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPX3000 Proxy Files

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaun Gish
HPX3000 Proxy Files
on Sep 30, 2009 at 9:30:09 pm

Is it worth getting the proxy card for the HPX3000? What is the actual format specs?

I intended on recording several HPX3000's to KiPros and then create ProRes proxies from those files for our offline mutlicam. Is it feasible to use the proxy card record on the cameras instead of taking all of the KiPro recorded ProRes HQ files into compressor to batch to ProRes Proxy?

Or is the proxy format that the HPX3000 records not practical in this application? (Also - is it full raster 1080?)

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: HPX3000 Proxy Files
on Sep 30, 2009 at 10:24:33 pm

Go with the KiPro- much more straightforward path into FCP. Also I'd recommend just getting more hard drive space- why end up with a proxy of something that's already relatively low bandwidth and completely ready to edit. The whole concept of the KiPro is to go from camera to edit to finish without stopped for proxies ever. :)

-Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

Shaun Gish
on Sep 30, 2009 at 11:04:53 pm

Hard drive space is not the issue... Speed is. The reason for the offline process is because we're shooting with ten cameras. 10 channels of prores hq is just not practical. The reason for the kipros is to save time and money (cheaper than p2 cards) and so that we can hit record on all of the kipros from our video village instead of relying on the cameras ops

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 30, 2009 at 11:43:26 pm

Shaun-

A decent RAID could handle ten streams of ProRes, especially if you set the KiPro to ProRes instead of ProRes HQ. Visually you'll see little difference but the data rates for ten streams will be manageable. That's about 14 Megabytes per second per stream assuming 1920x1080/24p. 10 streams of 14 megabytes per second is well within the specs of something like the G-Tech GSPEED ES PRO

http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-speed-es-pro-xl.cfm

You'd be investing in your infrastructure up front and saving a massive amount of transcoding and conforming time on the backend. Not to mention you'd have just that much less chance of something screwing up without all of that offline/online media management. If you can afford 10 KiPros I'd bet a couple of RAID units are doable as well.

Set it up in a SAN configuration and you'll be able to have all of the editors and post folks able to access everything all at once. Can't beat that...

But at any rate- if that's not something you're into then sure you could set up a render farm with Compressor droplets to convert all of the ProRes into something more proxy like. Say ProRes Proxy I suppose. Just seems like a lot of extra storage, media management and render time for something that the gear can be procured to completely circumvent.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Oct 1, 2009 at 12:07:20 am

For some dumb reason the Proxy card doesn't write matching time code, each clip starts at 00:00:00:00. There is a burn in option for time code in a picture window, but this is useless in offline quick turn around.
I worked out an FCP work around, but it is very click heavy, lots of separate item movements. It's helped us on a handful of shoots where we could email back the low res morning proxies to the suite, continue shooting in the afternoon, then arrive back, do the workaround with the mornings material then keep cutting with the high re afternoon material for play out that night.
Matthew.

Return to posts index

Shaun Gish
on Oct 1, 2009 at 3:10:26 am

We're mastering to hdcam sr and extensivley color grading so there is plenty of reason to go prores hq. Have you ever cut a 10 cam multicam project? Fcp completey chokes even on a killer setup. That's a lot of data. We have a San setup that can handle plenty of thruput but we also have multiple shows being edited at the same time. Offline workflows have their place and this is one of them.

Thanks for the info on the proxy card not capturing matching timecode. That answers my question

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]