FORUMS: list search recent posts

shooting 720 for SD monitor and output

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Carbonneau
shooting 720 for SD monitor and output
on Sep 21, 2009 at 2:35:08 pm

I'm the Vid/Ed for an ad agency. I've been shooting with the Canon XL2 for 2.5 years and have really liked it for SD. We recently purchased the Panny HPX-170, and I do like the Filmic settings with Cine-V. The problem I'm having is my suite is still SD. Although my mac is quick and I've got a raid I'm still monitoring in SD. I've done some tests where I shoot 720 24pn to see if it will maintain some HD quality when dropped onto an NTSC timeline, and I've not been impressed with the quality. Granted I'm monitoring in SD but I figured it would still look pretty good. It looks plain awful on my NTSC monitor. Is there a process I'm missing? I love the look of 720, and if possible maintain some of that quality for an SD output. I've been shooting in DVCPRO-50, and really like the results, but I want to take advantage of everything this camera has to offer and want to shoot in 720. Anyone with some input please help?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: shooting 720 for SD monitor and output
on Sep 21, 2009 at 4:19:18 pm

Which editing system are you on? You can get an HD monitoring card from Blackmagic starting at $295 dollars these days, you just need any HD monitor. Even a cheapo TV from Costco or Best Buy with HDMI will do the trick. In 2009, there's no excuse for SD-only editing anymore.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]