FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVC-I 100 1080/30pN footage= grainy-- any thoughts?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Megan Evans
AVC-I 100 1080/30pN footage= grainy-- any thoughts?
on Sep 9, 2009 at 6:04:49 am

I am working with some footage shot on an HVX-300p, using the AVC-I 100 codec, 1080/30pN, and it appears pretty grainy, almost like 16mm film. Is this normal for the codec? I am bringing it in Apple Pro Res 422 (HQ).
Conversely, am also working with DVCPRO HD 1080/60i footage in another project (project is DVCPRO HD 1080/60i as well), and it looks fabulous-- no grain at all.

Should I be doing something different with the AVC-I footage, or is the grain inherent in the codec?

Thanks

MacPro Quad-core, OS 10.5.3, FCP 6.0.5

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: AVC-I 100 1080/30pN footage= grainy-- any thoughts?
on Sep 9, 2009 at 1:41:35 pm

Was the GAIN turned up in the camera? Was this shot in a dark situation...thus the gain turned up? I have footage from this camera at AVCI-100, and it isn't grainy.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 9, 2009 at 2:23:57 pm

Seriously- grain is man-made not camera native.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Megan Evans
on Sep 9, 2009 at 4:21:56 pm

Thanks Shane for your help. As far as I know, the footage was shot at -3Db. There are some darker scenes shot right at twilight that are grainy, and I would expect that, but it looks like all the footage we shot, even in broad daylight, has this grain to it.

Thanks again,
M

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 9, 2009 at 5:19:34 pm

[Megan Evans] "I am working with some footage... 1080/30pN, and it appears pretty grainy, almost like 16mm film. ...am also working with DVCPRO HD 1080/60i footage... and it looks fabulous-- no grain at all. "

Could you be confusing the term "grain" for the term "smooth motion"? The motion in 60i will indeed appear smoother than that in 30p.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Sep 11, 2009 at 9:41:05 pm

I was told by a dealer that the HPX300 camera is pretty grainy in low light conditions!

- No Parking Production -

Finalcut Studio2, Dual G5, Kona 2, ioHD, X-Raid

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 11, 2009 at 9:45:59 pm

[Morten Ranmar] "I was told by a dealer that the HPX300 camera is pretty grainy in low light conditions! "

Well, they are wrong. Were they mainly SONY guys? Or trying to sell you a more expensive camera?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on Sep 23, 2009 at 4:36:34 pm

Our 2000 had some of this going on as well straight out of the box. After hooking up the paintbox and doing some tweaking on the black levels and gamma curves, the grain went away. It was mostly in the shadows and blacks, but was noticeable elsewhere as well under certain situations.

So, you need an experienced engineer to look at the camera and set it up, or at least someone like me that LIKES to read manuals and futz with dangerous settings in the camera until I get it to look right.

Out of the box these cameras have some grain to them, but that can be taken care of if they are properly set up.

Matt

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]