FORUMS: list search recent posts

fcp 7 & avc intra

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Williams
fcp 7 & avc intra
on Sep 2, 2009 at 6:00:22 pm

A client is looking to upgrade to FCP 7 because he wants to take advantage of AVC Intra. anybody doing this now? Would love to hear if the group thinks this is a good idea.

Thanks,

mike

Michael V. Williams
producer/editor
http://www.vernonvision.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: fcp 7 & avc intra
on Sep 2, 2009 at 6:41:59 pm

It's a great idea. Have a look at my repsonse on the FCP forum.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Sep 2, 2009 at 6:55:24 pm

Works fine for me. You still have to use the Log and Transfer window to import the AVC-I footage, and FCP7 gives the footage a QuickTime "wrapper", so the resulting media files will be QuickTime, not MXF. But the process goes very quickly--far more quickly than converting the AVC-I to ProRes, as FCP6 had to do (not to mention the fact that ProRes took up a lot more disk space).

Regarding any metadata in your AVC-I, it's carried over to the Quicktime-wrapped file, but FInal Cut can't see it/use it. Final Cut Server apparently can, but I haven't tried that myself.

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on Sep 2, 2009 at 10:45:05 pm

Great idea. I just upgraded to FCP 7 last night. I was running 6.0.6. I left everything on my cpu in place. Plugins, settings etc.

Installed the upgrade. Took quite awhile. About 4hrs.

Launched FCP 7, perfect. Everything moved over fine AND I went to Log & Transfer and BAM, those P2 files came right in. YEAH.

I was having problems before with this.

FYI, I'm running and staying w/ OS 10.5.7 for now.

So, great idea.

Dual Core, 3GHz, OS 10.5.7, 16GB Ram, 2 TB internal HD, ATI Radeon X1900 Graphics Card, 4TB External Raid, FCP 6.0.5, Sound Track Pro, AE 9.0.2, Squeeze for the Web, MacBook Pro (MBP) 2.6 GHz, Dual Core, 10.5.7, Panasonic HPX300 Camera.
Owner of Full Graphics Design Firm Houston, Tx 19 yrs.
Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Bruce Feagle
on Sep 3, 2009 at 5:20:01 am

When editing with these wrapped AVC-I clips, what kind of RT performance is there? Also curious what the render hit is if effects like 3 color are applied.

This sounds like the situation I was in with RED proxy files.

Bruce

Bruce Feagle

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]