FORUMS: list search recent posts

Snow Leopard, P2 and FCS 2

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick DeSalvo
Snow Leopard, P2 and FCS 2
on Sep 1, 2009 at 8:26:56 pm

Okay, for those of us who are more artist than IT, can you install FCS 2 on a new Mac Book Pro? I just ordered one and had planned on installing it. The workflow on my Mac Pro is DVCPro HD 720/30P ingesting with a 060 P2 reader. Works great. Reading these threads it appears that the new OS will not recognize P2. Is this true? I'd planned on taking this system on the road on the 14th using the P2 workflow.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Snow Leopard, P2 and FCS 2
on Sep 1, 2009 at 9:01:01 pm

[Rick DeSalvo] "Reading these threads it appears that the new OS will not recognize P2. Is this true? I'd planned on taking this system on the road on the 14th using the P2 workflow. "

Yes, if you have Snow Leopard on the machine, the P2 drivers don't work with it.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chris Cardno
on Sep 1, 2009 at 9:56:48 pm

I'm now puzzled -- I just had a crew get back in from a shoot with an HPX500 and the client transferred in the field with their PCD20 (we think, I wasn't there to confirm) and they HAD installed Snow Leopard. The lack of screaming makes me think that they were able to transfer successfully.

Is this only an issue if you start to engage the footage with software? Or are you looking at a complete kernel panic like our friends with SxS cards are experiencing?

And, more importantly...HOW THE FRAK DID NOBODY SEE THIS COMING AT PANASONIC AND SONY?!?

Sorry. Had to get that out of my system.

Chris Cardno
Visual Edge Productions
Bethesda, MD

Return to posts index

Rick DeSalvo
on Sep 1, 2009 at 11:15:06 pm

I'm about to hit the road (or so I thought) with an HPX 500, a new MBP 17" and an AJ PCS 060. I'd sure like to know before I get on a plane. Apple said it's unsure if the unit shipped with Snow Leopard or the upgrade kit, so I'll find out in a few days.

Any way to confirm if the system you referred to was running the new O/S?

Return to posts index

Tom Chartrand
on Sep 2, 2009 at 1:20:08 am

Hey Chris,

It ain't Panasonic. It's Duel Systems and the drivers for their adapter are the culprit.

Tom

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 2, 2009 at 4:23:22 am

CHRIS, HOW THE FREAK DOES Anyone in the production business not understand we DON"T upgrade for a while. It takes time to get everything worked out and we should be in no rush to upgrade until it is safe to do it. Panasonic and everyone else is working on drives and we DON"T want them until they are ready.

Rick, people that purchase in the time frame, like yourself, are in a difference situation. I would make sure I tested everything and if in doubt I would down grade the OS to Leopard. There is nothing shipping that has to have SL on it.

Return to posts index

Tom Chartrand
on Sep 2, 2009 at 1:18:11 am

Jeremy,

I'm not sure about that. I have Snow Leopard on my MacPro tower and Final Cut 6.0.6 is running just fine and HDLog and ShotPutPro are recognizing archived P2 images. The big issue out there is that the DUEL SYSTEMS drivers are not written into Snow Leopard's database. Duel has to step up like they did in 10.4 and get drivers written.

My HVX200 is connected by FW right now to Snow Leopard and my little NoName's are mounted. So P2 is fine but it's Duel that's the issue.

Tom

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 2, 2009 at 7:06:11 am

Well, I'm not entirely sure either as I don't have Snow Leopard installed, but I dud receive this email from Panasonic. I will tend to take their word on it. Plus we use a PCD20.

- IMPORTANT NOTICE -
P2 driver compatibility information with Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
1.P2 driver software for Mac OS 10.4 & 10.5 are NOT compatible
  with the recent Mac OS X version 10.6 (Snow Leopard).
  For the following drivers/software, upgrade are being planned
  for the Mac OS 10.6.
  - IEEE1394b driver for AJ-PCD20 series
  - PCI express(PCIe) driver for AJ-PCD35 series
  - P2 Card formatter for Mac
  - P2 Contents management software (P2CMS) for Mac

2.Notice to users working with Duel Systems' DuelAdapter
 - P2 cards will not be recognized with the adaptor in Mac OS 10.6
    due to no software driver exists.
  - Please use Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) instead.
  - For MacBookPro users, please use USB 2.0 port which is standardly
    equipped with P2 equipment for data transfer between Mac.

Return to posts index

Chris Cardno
on Sep 2, 2009 at 1:34:43 pm

Michael, I agree with you, leaping into a new operating system when you have a stable workflow already in place is not a good idea -- we haven't made the move to Snow Leopard, nor have we upgraded our Final Cut system, at this time simply because I don't want to spend the next few months posting in various forums trying to find workarounds and glitch fixes. However, Apple devotees seem to have a lemming attitude to new hardware and software: "Shiny! New! Must have now!"

:-)

I'm going to call the client in a little while and find out what system they were running and if they've come across any issues yet. I'll update when I have some definitive answers.

Chris Cardno
Visual Edge Productions
Bethesda, MD

Return to posts index

Chris Cardno
on Sep 2, 2009 at 2:00:31 pm

Okay, update number 1:

* Their 15" MacBookPro was not the newest iteration, it was the type that still has the ExpressCard slot. They did install Snow Leopard but did NOT install Rosetta.
* They were using the Panasonic 5-card reader and transferring over Firewire using the Finder. They don't know the model number of the card reader but they're going to get back to me later today.
* They've had no issues whatsoever getting the footage loaded into Final Cut, but they have NOT upgraded to FCS3 -- they're still using 6.06.

Chris Cardno
Visual Edge Productions
Bethesda, MD

Return to posts index

Chris Cardno
on Sep 2, 2009 at 4:38:44 pm

And update number 2:

The client was using an AJ-PCD20, transferring via Firewire 800. There were no issues in the field and they have had no issues since importing the files into FCS2.

So...17" Macbook Pro with ExpressCard slot + AJ-PCD20 + Firewire + Snow Leopard = apparently successful workflow for P2.

Yay. Now we just need to buy a $2,000 P2 card reader while we wait for Duel to bring out new drivers. Which I'm sure they'll get to just as soon as Beelzebub starts serving Slushies.

Chris Cardno
Visual Edge Productions
Bethesda, MD

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 2, 2009 at 4:40:24 pm

[Chris Cardno] "So...17" Macbook Pro with ExpressCard slot + AJ-PCD20 + Firewire + Snow Leopard = apparently successful workflow for P2. "

Yeah, I'd be careful with that. If Panasonic says it's incompatible, I wouldn't do it. Not to say that it won't work sometimes, but I'd hate to be the guinea pig on that experiment.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chris Cardno
on Sep 2, 2009 at 4:48:43 pm

Agreed. As with any workflow or production process I'd default to the old adage: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And if it is broke, check the Cow."

Chris Cardno
Visual Edge Productions
Bethesda, MD

Return to posts index

Tom Chartrand
on Sep 3, 2009 at 1:14:11 am

Chris & Jeremy. Good info. Keep Leopard on my MBP for the foreseeable future. Edit suite tower is doing fine with Snow Leopard and P2, So all is good for now!

Return to posts index

Nelson May
on Sep 25, 2009 at 11:10:26 pm

I have to jump in here. My MPB with snow leopard is seeing the duel adapter card, but the recent P@ driver will not load on SN. For some reason I didnt' think of looking at the compatibility of Duel. I read P2 was fine somewhere.

Either Dual or panny will have to work this out, I have a bus powered FW drive with leopard and FCP6 just for P2 injest.

Pain in the A, yes. Does it work. Yes.

When I was a PA a director told me:
If no one got hurt and no one got killed......call it a good shoot.

G5, 1.7, 4MB RAM, 30"cine, G4, 1.6 2MB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 5. Pro Tools, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

James Meagher
on Nov 19, 2009 at 3:23:31 pm

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has any new information on these compatibility issues since this conversation happened over two months ago. I'd love to know if the parties involved have sorted the DuelAdapter/P2/Snow Leopard workflow/compatibility out yet?

Cheers,
James

Return to posts index

Terry Jun
on Nov 19, 2009 at 8:06:31 pm

I just got an email from the Panasonic that the new drivers are up. I tried it and it does not seem to be working yet. I may have to go back to leopard. Don't know if it's SL and the Card or just the driver.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 19, 2009 at 8:44:48 pm

I don't think there's plans for Snow Leopard drivers and the Duel.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Nelson May
on Nov 19, 2009 at 8:50:46 pm

Here is my work around. I have leopard installed as a boot disk on a partitioned FW800 drive with FCP2. I just start up leopard, ingest my P2 data, and save. I take the drive, to my powermac, copy the whole folder or just open (if I am doing only DV) in FCP3 and work from there.
Extra step.
Yes.
Problem solved.
Yes.

BTW, I also run some older apps on the leopard partition until I can upgrade.

I am not holding my breath for Duel to make a 10.6 driver.

MBP 2.4GHz 4MB RAM, 30"cine, MAC PRO 2.6 8 core 6GB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 7. Pro Tools 8, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

James Meagher
on Nov 19, 2009 at 8:53:43 pm

I downloaded some P2 Snow Leopard drivers from here earlier today:

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/cs/csregistp2m/ep2main/macp...

I've downloaded the contents of my P2 card by firewire from my HVX200 in PC MODE (1394 DEVICE) onto my MBP (see page 82 of the AG-HVX200P Operating Instructions). Then I opened Log & Transfer in FCS2 and directed it to the folder on my desktop containing the P2 contents.

Though the transfer of files via the firewire took longer than using the P2 in the Duel Adaptor used to (and tied up the camera for the duration), now that I've got the files into my system I'm having no problems whatsoever editing them.

Hopes this helps those of you out there who did a silly thing (upgrade too soon) like me. Funny thing is that I held off from upgrading to Leopard for soooo long because of issues like these that I ended up skipping it entirely. Then SL came out and I thought hmmm . . . I'm two OS behind now - better catch up after it's been out for a couple months . . . Lesson learned

James

Return to posts index

Terry Jun
on Nov 19, 2009 at 8:56:41 pm

Just wanted to let you guys know that I did not have to load the drivers to access the files from the camera via firewire in SL. I just needed the drivers to try to make it work on the DuelAdapter. But having an external FW800 with Leopard fixes that problem. Thanks for the tip!!!!

Return to posts index

Nelson May
on Nov 19, 2009 at 9:21:04 pm

I would have to look up the receipt, but I got a FW 800/USB/ESATA enclosure for about 80 bucks. When I went to SN and wanted to do a clean install, so I bought a 500GB HD and put it in the MBP and moved my 320 to the enclosure. It comes with a power adapter, but it is also bus powered, which is good for "field ingests" and "on the road"

MBP 2.4GHz 4MB RAM, 30"cine, MAC PRO 2.6 8 core 6GB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 7. Pro Tools 8, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Russell Gordon
on Dec 8, 2009 at 4:14:12 pm

Hello

Does anyone know if or when the P2 reader will work with snow leopard? What are you doing in the mean time?

Thank you,

Russell-

Return to posts index

Nelson May
on Dec 8, 2009 at 5:05:47 pm

Partition your drive or partition a FW drive, load leopard and load FCP or an older version of FCP. start up with the leopard OS, ingest and save.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 8, 2009 at 5:09:02 pm

Snow Leopard drivers have been released by Panasonic for the PCD20 and PCD35.

http://www.panasonic.com/p2hd

Jeremy

Return to posts index

James Meagher
on Dec 8, 2009 at 5:54:22 pm

I simply ingested my media by connecting the HVX to my mac via firewire. Then put the HVX into PC mode and it will show up on your desktop. (All of this is explained in detail in the HVX's User Manual.) Sadly time consuming. I realize that this isn't the best solution - but if you're in a pinch this'll work.

James

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]