FORUMS: list search recent posts

I have formated my HD-500gb in HPX300 to pass videos direct and now the computer doesn't recognize the HD

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gustavo Cavalcanti
I have formated my HD-500gb in HPX300 to pass videos direct and now the computer doesn't recognize the HD
on Sep 1, 2009 at 7:31:26 pm

Hi,
if some one can help me i appreciate!
I have both one ext. hard drive (WD 500gb no power supply) to pass videos direct from hpx-300 to the HD with out any computer. To make the camera recognize the HD you have to format it by the camera (this is what i have done) and now after pass the videos when i plug the ext. HD in the computer (Macbook pro, snow), nothing happens, the computer doesn't recognize the HD.
some one know what i should do to make the computer read the ext.hd with all the footage inside???

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: I have formated my HD-500gb in HPX300 to pass videos direct and now the computer doesn't recognize the HD
on Sep 1, 2009 at 7:49:24 pm

Try this plugin:

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

-Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
Re: I have formated my HD-500gb in HPX300 to pass videos direct and now the computer doesn't recognize the HD
on Sep 1, 2009 at 10:49:59 pm

Doesn't the 300 use FAT32? In which case you do not need the software. The Mac can read FAT32.

The original poster needs to try the drive on a windows machine. I am betting it is somehow not being properly bus powered from the Mac.

BTW for reading NTFS, MacFuse is free and FCS 3 installs it as I recall.

Robert

Return to posts index

Gustavo Cavalcanti
on Sep 3, 2009 at 12:23:31 am

Tanks for the help but the computers stele not reading the Ext. HD, i have tried at both Mac an PC and noting, The PC can see the drive in the safe removal hardware but can find it in My computer so i cant access the drive. I had read in the hpx manual that the drive is formatted in a type called S (TYPE S - "A special format that permits high-speed loading and write back of data in card unit. This is the format used by the camera." is what the manual says... ) But who the hell reads this format(i havent found any drive for this)??? Just the camera???? so what is the sense?!?!?!?
If some one keep the interest in resolve this questions please fell free!
I hope there have some one smarter then me, i don't have a clue on how to solve this problem

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Sep 3, 2009 at 4:01:16 pm

[Gustavo Cavalcanti] "I had read in the hpx manual that the drive is formatted in a type called S (TYPE S - "A special format that permits high-speed loading and write back of data in card unit. This is the format used by the camera." is what the manual says... )"

I did not see that. Ok, found it in the manual. I am still waiting on my 300 so I am no expert but I suspect you need to write the files from the drive to a P2 card then reformat the external drive as FAT. As you discovered, computers cannot read S but can read FAT.

Good Luck,
Robert

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
on Sep 4, 2009 at 4:17:46 am

Wow that's interesting if the 300 manages the disk differently than the HVX-200 and HPX-500.. both of those use FAT32.

Can't say I'd complain if the transfers were faster, but not being able to mount the disks would sorta negate that benefit, heh.

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

Gustavo Cavalcanti
on Sep 4, 2009 at 5:18:52 am

This is really sad... I would love to import on the road direct throw the HD.....
If some one discover what is this format please let me know...
Best for All

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Sep 4, 2009 at 1:39:45 pm

[Gustavo Cavalcanti] "This is really sad... I would love to import on the road direct throw the HD.....
If some one discover what is this format please let me know..."

This not a problem with the camera. You formatted the drive incorrectly. You need to copy the files from the drive to a P2 card then reformat the drive FAT(FAT32). PC's and Mac's will see the drive when it is FAT32.

The 300 does use FAT32.

Hope that helps,
Robert

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]