FORUMS: list search recent posts

Driving Timelapse with HVX200?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
P2 Shooter
Driving Timelapse with HVX200?
on Aug 31, 2009 at 8:02:47 pm

Howdie Cow,

I'm going to be attempting a 12 hour (broken into two 6 hour shifts) timelapse of a drive from one state to another this September.

I have 8 16 gig P2 cards or 2 Firestore FS100's.

I'm wondering if people have suggestions for me as I embark on this effort?

I'd like to shoot at a minimum 720 which on our 100 gig firestores is approximately 216 minutes when I shoot at 30pn. So I'd burn through both 100gig fs100s per 6 hours days. If I carry over for some reason, which is possible with traffic and what have you, I have the P2 cards.

First Question is: Is shooting 720 30pn the best thing for a driving timelapse shot? Should I be doing some sort of interval shooting instead?

2nd: What about the shutter? usually I shoot in Film Mode at 180 degrees. Is there a more interesting shutter angle for this?

3rd: What's the math equation of source footage rec time to final play time given a variable of speed increase?

4th: Is FCP's own clip speed tool the best thing to put this together afterwards?

Thanks!

Chris

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Driving Timelapse with HVX200?
on Aug 31, 2009 at 10:01:39 pm

[P2 Shooter] " Should I be doing some sort of interval shooting instead? "

Yes...that is what you do. You have to put the camera into VIDEO mode, then set it up to shoot 720p 60fps, and have the interval set up to something like 1 shot every second, or every FEW seconds if you are going state to state. Test settings to see what works.

[P2 Shooter] "2nd: What about the shutter? usually I shoot in Film Mode at 180 degrees. Is there a more interesting shutter angle for this? "

Put it in VIDEO MODE...that is the only way to shoot in INTERVAL mode anyway. And use the default shutter.

[P2 Shooter] "3rd: What's the math equation of source footage rec time to final play time given a variable of speed increase? "

Well, you can't shoot variable speed increase. You choose an interval, press start...and it records until you turn off the camera. And it is easy to figure out the math. 1 shot every 5 seconds means that every minute you shoot 12 frames. For an hour that would be 720 frames...divided by 60 frames per second is 12 seconds. I think...I sucked at math.

[P2 Shooter] "4th: Is FCP's own clip speed tool the best thing to put this together afterwards? "

Only if you shoot a LOT of footage and fill up drive after drive after drive of normal speed footage. Which is why it is best to shoot INTERVAL.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

P2 Shooter
on Aug 31, 2009 at 11:27:46 pm

Thanks Shane!

just what I needed. Maybe I don't even need to do use the firestores. Power would be an issue I'd have to come up with so if my 8 16 gig P2 cards will work that would be great.

Would I want to do anything different for this time lapse driving at night?

Return to posts index

Bryan DiCerb
on Aug 31, 2009 at 11:42:42 pm

Have you tested what it will look like? Unless you do a frame every couple of seconds it seems like it will look like a bunch of flash frames. Only thing that would look cool would be if you were following someone so you have a fixed forground.

Figure every mile at 60 miles per hour will be about a second at one frame every 2 seconds. Shoot with as short a pause as you can get away with. You can always speed it up in post, but you can't slow it down.

For power, I would use the AC adapter and use an inverter. One less thing to deal with.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 31, 2009 at 11:45:17 pm

Actually, the ONLY timelapse I have shot has been at night, so...

I shot one frame every second, and the gamma was set to HD Norm, a setting recommended to me, and it worked well.

And no, if you choose some other frame rate it won't cause FLASH frames. There is no sudden flash of light that happens, and this isn't film. The lower the rate, the slower the time lapse, the longer the rate, the faster the timelapse.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bryan DiCerb
on Sep 1, 2009 at 11:10:10 am

Well I've done hundreds of timelapses and what I meant by flash frames is that when driving, if the length of time between frames taken is very long it will just look like you are somewhere totally somewhere different every frame instead of looking like you are driving fast. Hence flash frames.

Return to posts index

Bryan DiCerb
on Sep 1, 2009 at 12:40:15 pm

Actually I should have written a bunch of "jump cuts". That makes a little more sense.

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Sep 1, 2009 at 1:50:58 pm

Bryan:

If ever some testing was in order, this is the time to do it. Personally, for what you are doing, I would ditch the FireStores, you don't need them. When shooting time lapse, you will not be filling up those cards very rapidly, as long as you keep an eye on them and change them when needed, you should be fine.

I have experimented with all of the different intervals and with driving and here is what I like, but YMMV. I don't even use the interval setting, I used the Barry Green frame rate hack (There is a video on YouTube on how to set it up or it is all over the web, just Google "HVX200 frame rate hack"). I setup 2 FPS with 360 shutter as a preset on my F1 preset. This gives the video a smeary, kind of cool look, headlights leave trails, it looks like film with a wide open shutter. If you just use interval, it will look like a series of still frames.

But you need to experiment to determine the look that you want. The HVX200 is capable of many different looks, you just have to be talented enough to set them all up and analyze them to determine the look that you want.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Sep 2, 2009 at 6:06:44 pm

I've shot a little of this and wrote up my experience in setting up the frame-rate hack on my blog:

http://onetwomany.com/blog/blog1.php/2009/04/05/hvx-200-frame-rate-hack-and...

Personally I'd do it at different frame-rate and speed combinations, overcranking for slowmo whenever you want to bring some intimacy to the viewer and undercranking fast speed for travel on the road.

I agree that you won't be swapping cards too fast if you are doing a very low framerate though with the frame-rate hack you are basically shooting at 15x speed so a full day of driving is still almost an hour of video.

Using the built in intervalometer, you get get an even speedier image but i wouldn't use anything much longer than 1fps for any moving camera and even that looks a little choppy for my taste.

Tracy Peterson
http://www.onetwomany.com

Return to posts index

P2 Shooter
on Sep 3, 2009 at 12:37:17 am

A few days of testing under my belt and buying a suction cup rig for the inside of the windshield later... bug splatter will be the biggest problem.

Thanks. I'm going to go with 300degrees for daytime interval shooting and 350 for nighttime.

I can't seem to get this to hack to 2 fps... I enter 2 into the scene file and it pops up everytime I do it as 3 fps...

What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Sep 3, 2009 at 12:58:27 am

Did you read the tutorial I wrote? I had problems too. If not go read it and do word for word, let me know if any step confuses.

By the way it's at http://www.onetwomany.com/blog

Tracy Peterson
http://www.onetwomany.com

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Sep 3, 2009 at 4:50:04 pm

You are putting in the incorrect frame rate value, it is not 1:1, each number stands for a frame rate, you need to use the number that stands for 2FPS but it probably isn't 2. This is also outlined in the Barry Green book.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]