FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Thicker" Color with EX3

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maximilian Dandy
"Thicker" Color with EX3
on Aug 31, 2009 at 8:37:25 am

Hi, I would like to produce indie movie (will do the Kine Transfer for mastering), I'm thinking to direct capture from EX3's HD-SDI output to MXO2 using FCP7 with AVC Intra codec, is it possible? My thinking is, the AVC Intra have a 10 bit 4:2:2 at 100 Mbps bit rate, so it will get 'thicker' color than EX3 record with SxS that just only 35Mbps (4:2:0), I'd tried before with DVCPRO HD, it's looks good, but never try to make a Kine Transfer yet. I'd consider to buy a Panasonic HPX 300 because of it's 2,2 Megapixel CMOS but has only 1/3" CMOS, what I have seen in big screen, movie that produced with 1/3" CCD was not sharp enough. If in digital still camera world, big Megapixel in a compact camera is useless if the lens is small, is it same in the video world?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: "Thicker" Color with EX3
on Aug 31, 2009 at 1:37:46 pm

Rent the HPX-3700!

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 31, 2009 at 1:57:31 pm

I wouldn't obsess that much about 4:2:2: vs. 4:2:0 when it comes to a film transfer. If you have a good movie with stars in it, you need a film transfer. If it's your basic indie indie movie then the 'thickness of your color' is really superfluous in terms of whether a film transfer is warranted.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 31, 2009 at 4:32:27 pm

[Maximilian Dandy] "direct capture from EX3's HD-SDI output to MXO2 using FCP7 with AVC Intra codec"
WIth the new FCP this is only a READ codec, you cannot capture to that codec. You would probably want to use a ProRes codec if you do the HD SDI capture.

The gain you get from your plan is from keeping the camera from going into the GOP structure that it uses on the card. The other thing to look at is the New box by AJA KI, thing will use the HD SDI out of the camera and record as full raster ProRes to it drive, it is like having a super compact, battery powered HD deck on your camera.

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on Aug 31, 2009 at 8:09:49 pm

[Maximilian Dandy] "'d consider to buy a Panasonic HPX 300 because of it's 2,2 Megapixel CMOS but has only 1/3" CMOS, what I have seen in big screen, movie that produced with 1/3" CCD was not sharp enough. If in digital still camera world, big Megapixel in a compact camera is useless if the lens is small, is it same in the video world?"

As far as resolution goes, side by side with the EX1, there is no difference in the resolution, so if you thought the 300 didn't have enough detail, neither will the EX1. (You didn't identify the 1/3" camera in the film out you did see but a 2.2 M pixel imager in 1/3 virtually equals the performance on the 1/2" imager.)

The lens on the hpx300 is longer than that on the EX1 as well.

And Michael sacchi is right, the AVC-Intra codec in FCP is decoder only. You could rent an AG-HPG20 and record directly to AVC-Intra, or give the HPX300 a try, you might really be surprised.

Best,

Jan

Best,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, HPX500, HPX300, HPX170, HVX200A
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]