sony jh-3 hdcam deck sound problem

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce Lapointe
sony jh-3 hdcam deck sound problem
on Aug 31, 2009 at 2:31:33 am

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me with the following:

I have been capturing HDCAM tapes (shot 23.98 but capturing to fcp 6.0 as 29.97 dv quality for offline edit). Every tape has gone smoothly except this one tape. I cannot seem to capture the sound (I can capture the picture). The difference between this tape and all others is that with all the others - I can see the audio meter bars working on the deck whether I look at channels 1, 2, 3 or 4 on the deck. The problem tape shows no audio meters until I scan through the audio monitoring options until I get to the letter "C" above the left and right channel (as opposed to channel 1, 2, etc) on the deck. So, there is sound, but it is on this odd C channel and I can't access it via FCP.

Dual 2.5 ghz G5
OS 10.5.8
4 gigs RAM
capturing xlr out of deck to xlr in on aja kona box (which leads to Kona 2 card in mac).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Return to posts index

Dino Sanacory
Re: sony jh-3 hdcam deck sound problem
on Aug 31, 2009 at 4:15:06 am

I'll guess that the C is the cue track. A 5th track that is actually a low grade linear analog track. Don't know that many people used it. Might be used to record the intercom in a multi camera studio or truck shoot or perhaps a rough mix if the other channels were left as ISOs. The 500 series HDCam decks have XLR input and output for this channel. It can record as a mix of what is fed into the other tracks depending on the recording device and it's configuration.

I think your tape is not 23.976P. try playing at an even 24 or 29.97 and see if the audio shows up. That or it has no audio on it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]