FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic HPX300 Production Diary

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Brockett
Panasonic HPX300 Production Diary
on Aug 24, 2009 at 12:13:33 am

Hi:

If you are considering the HPX300, you might find my production diary about a large project I used the HPX300 on in the Spring to be of interest, the article went live this morning.

Let me know your thoughts and feel free to ask any questions you might have about using the 300 on a real world project. I, as well the director and clients on the project were all impressed with the images we captured.

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/production_diary_hpx300_brockett.html

Thanks,

Dan

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Panasonic HPX300 Production Diary
on Aug 24, 2009 at 6:10:59 am

Hi Dan,

Great detailed article and great video work as well. Thanks!

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Aug 24, 2009 at 1:42:05 pm

Hi Jason:

Thanks for the feedback and glad you enjoyed the diary. That HPX300 is a pretty impressive camera, especially now with the rebate. By far the best bang for the buck on the market although the special trade-in deal with the 3700 right now is amazing as well. But $30k still puts it out of reach of most.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Aug 24, 2009 at 6:42:23 pm

Dan

Great article and video. I have to agree, the HPX-300 is the best bang for the buck. It kills me when I hear people complain that P2 cameras and cards are expensive. $7100 with the $800 rebate!

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Aug 24, 2009 at 11:26:10 pm

I agree, Panasonic has given us all a really generous present with the HPX300.

Dan

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Aug 27, 2009 at 8:54:56 am

Thanks Dan for the in-depth article. We are shooting an indie feature for 2 weeks next month and strongly considering 2 300's. We would shoot at 1080p AVC100. I like the lighter feel of the cam for run and gun and hand held shooting. We have a deal on 2 3000's but thinking they're going to be a lot heavier and batt's don't last long - also hear iffy thing about viewfinder.

You think the 300 would be a good choice or is the 3000 just way better? Either way I love the fact that we could shoot at 10 bit 422 and not have to transcode a bunch of proxies etc like other systems we're looking at.

Lance Bachelder
Southern California

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Aug 27, 2009 at 3:24:11 pm

Hi:

Glad you found the article helpful.

Hmmm...interesting dilemma. The two cameras use the same codec so that isn't a variable. The 3000 is much bigger and heavier, true. But the 3000 is going to probably come with a lens that costs about 3-4 times as much as the entire HPX300. Glass always wins out, I would go with the 3000s unless your concept will suffer from using the bigger, heavier cameras. The lens on the 300 is essentially free and while it is great for the money, it is not in the same league as a $20k broadcast piece of glass that would typically accompany the 3000.

If price if not a factor for you, I would go with the 3000s.

Dan

Return to posts index

Phil Yunker
on Aug 28, 2009 at 10:55:28 pm

Dan,
I have not read the article yet, I scrolled through to look at the pictures first, and my first question is, "how does the camera feel as a hand held camera, besides being light?" It looks small and almost possibly a little awkward for a large shooter to use especially after using some of the larger cameras.

Thanks.

PHIL

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Aug 28, 2009 at 11:03:56 pm

Hi Phil:

I am 6' 1" and weigh 165, so I am tall and skinny. It worked out perfectly for me, it was the most comfortable camera I have ever used. I used to shoot with a BVWD600, which was a beast when paired with the Anton Bauer bricks back in the day. I am not a big guy so it is hard for me to say but I think that with the lens, two P2 cards and battery, you are around 11-13 pounds. I doubt if it would be as rock steady as a 22lb F950 but it is definitely steadier than cameras like the EX3 and the XLH1.

Best thing to do is to rent or borrow one and test drive it. You will never know until you try it for yourself.

Thanks,

Dan

Return to posts index

Phil Yunker
on Aug 28, 2009 at 11:22:53 pm

Dan,
thanks for the info. I'm about the same height as you but with a little more meat / fat (215lb)
Yes, I plan on getting my hands on a 300 and EX 3 for a test drive and decide from there. I currently own a HVX-200 and really like the Panasonic gear (I have used, 500, VariCam, hdx-900, HPX2700) however, I'm hearing really good things about the ex-3 as well.
Time for a test drive.

Thanks again.

PHIL

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Aug 31, 2009 at 1:24:39 am

After shooting with both of these cameras, IMHO, there is nothing that the EX3 does better than the HPX300 other than having slightly shallower depth of field and possibly a tiny bit faster exposure capability.

XDCAM EX is a pretty lousy codec when compared to AVCINTRA 100

In ergonomics, the EX3 is a pretty big compromise in comparison with the handling on the HPX300

The Fujinon lens on the HPX300 is superior to the Sony Fujinon lens on the EX3 (IMHO).

While P2 continues to grow and flourish, all signs are pointing toward SxS possibly becoming the latest Sony orphan format, if you research, Sony has a long a rich history at inventing codecs and formats and then abandoning them. Doing this is a definite Sony marketing strategy that baffles me.

The Sony comes from the box setup to take Sony consumer batteries, whereas the HPX300 comes setup to take industry standard AB or V-Mount batteries.

Nothing wrong with the Sony, I shoot with it often but it comes up short against the HPX300. It is a glorified EX1, whereas the HPX300 is a miniaturized and feature downgraded HPX2700/3700. Two different approaches.

Dan

Return to posts index

Phil Yunker
on Aug 31, 2009 at 12:06:51 pm

Dan,
Great information!! Exactly what I've been looking for from someone who has used both cameras.
Thanks again.

PHIL

Return to posts index

Phil Yunker
on Aug 28, 2009 at 11:23:54 pm

One more thing Dan, I'm reading the article now. Nice job and thanks for putting it together.

PHIL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]