FORUMS: list search recent posts

Distorted audio

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John McKeown
Distorted audio
on Aug 22, 2009 at 10:03:14 pm

Hi all

This might be a general sound question really. I have an HVX200 and a fresh out of the box HPX301. I have a Rode NTG-2 mic on the 200 and the 301 came with a Rode NTG-1.

I discovered while filming a band - about 30 feet from the speaker stack - that despite audio levels peaking around -12db, the sound was incredibly distorted and the other channel which was set to the internal microphone was spot on.

I used the HPX301 in similar circumstances and even when I was around 150 feet from the stage, the mic was still distorting even when I turned the levels right down. The audio channels were set in the menu to the -60db pad.

Do I need to put an attenuating pad on the mic or are the Rode mics not really up to the job? Or am I expecting too much in these circumstances? I don't see how really.

I'd appreciate any input as I will be doing lots of filming of bands in this situation, to be used as footage to hang an interview on only and where a feed from the sound desk is not feasible.

Many thanks in advance.

John McKeown

http://www.lakestv.net
http://www.filmnorth.co.uk

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Distorted audio
on Aug 23, 2009 at 12:34:01 am

[John McKeown] "other channel which was set to the internal microphone was spot on"
If this was spot on, why not use it? Not sure a shotgun mic is a smart choice for what you are trying to get. I have never heard anything worth a damn from any open mic, a feed from the FOH is the only way to get decent audio IMO. Understand that you cannot always get it, I would think less directional would be better.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 23, 2009 at 2:23:35 am

If you want to use the Rode mics you need a pad. They're overloading the input amp stage before the level controls which is why the sound is clipped even though your levels look good. Some devices are more susceptible to this type of distortion than others. The BVW35 Beta SP deck was famous for an overly sensitive front end. If the gain controls had to be turned below half way to get a proper level on its meters distortion was likely.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 2 (FCP 6.0.5, Comp 3.0.5, DVDSP 4.2.1, Color 1.0.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

John McKeown
on Aug 23, 2009 at 9:40:51 am

Thanks John and thanks Michael for your input.

I will definitely be putting a pad on the Rode on the HPX301 as this doesn't have the benefit of having a built-in mic to rely on as with the HVX200 - I'm just glad I wasn't missing something else.

Cheers

John

John McKeown

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]