Wireless logging/controlling cameras as they record

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Maloney
on Aug 18, 2009 at 12:56:24 pm

Hi All,

Please read this first.

http://broadcastengineering.com/new_products_and_reviews/wireless-cam-conne...

Honing in on the Panasonic forward looking statements. Looks cool but at the moment Panasonics Proxy files and ( some ) other Metadata Info generated in camera are hard to use ( in FCP ) because there is no T/C relationship between the P2 Media and the proxies. Will this be sorted with the WiFi adoption?

Perhaps if we are opening up the cameras heart and soul via Wi Fi, should we not able to be able to paint them over Wi Fi on a browser to avoid purchasing the expensive cable remote controls????

Canons EOS DSLR remote software springs to mind..... and we already have live view!!!!

What do people want with this proposed Wi Fi capability? Speak up quickly as its probably nearing Beta if its in the press!!!

Steve Cooperman ?????...... Jan....????

Best

Tim Maloney
Managing Director
Axis Films Melbourne Australia
tim@axisfilms.com.au
Computers and Cameras to numerous to keep current - we're on the leading edge but not bleeding!!!!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Wireless logging/controlling cameras as they record
on Aug 19, 2009 at 8:32:16 am

Problem I see is bandwidth DVCPROHD over Wifi is too slow. When we have wireless eSATA or wireless fiber ( :) ) then I'm all over it.

-Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Tim Maloney
on Aug 19, 2009 at 9:30:27 am

Hi Noah,

They are planning to just send the Metadata :)

Relax

Tim Maloney
Managing Director
tim@axisfilms.com.au
Computers and Cameras to numerous to keep current - we're on the leading edge but not bleeding!!!!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 19, 2009 at 1:52:20 pm

THis is exactly what I want. A wifi metadata editor that can edit as or during the shoot.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tim Maloney
on Aug 20, 2009 at 1:03:45 am

Exactly Jeremy,

Can you spell out in technical terms whats' missing in the proxies and the Metadata to make them more FCP Friendly??

Bjorn at Hamburg Pro Audio once wrote a LOOOOONG work around once but we just need the Proxies to have T/C mostly.

Best

Tim Maloney
Managing Director
tim@axisfilms.com.au

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 20, 2009 at 12:01:00 pm

[Tim Maloney] "Can you spell out in technical terms whats' missing in the proxies and the Metadata to make them more FCP Friendly?? "

Meaning...why can't you use metadata and proxies in FCP? They way I see it, there's no reason to use proxies with P2. If you are editing AVC-I material on a G5, then maybe proxies will help you, otherwise, just use the full res media.

As far as metadata, MXF4mac will transfer all metadata to the FCP project.

Can you be a little more specific in your question?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tim Maloney
on Aug 21, 2009 at 12:43:55 am

Hi Jeremy,

Understand all of that and I've got my FCP upgrade ordered and after that I'll purchase the MXF4QT.

My use and what I thought I would get when I added the card to the camera was that if I was three hours out of town shooting for say news.

At the conclusion of the shoot I could email the proxies back to the suite where the editor would assemble the story and get approval. He would media manage the story to on line when I got back three hours later with the real media.

This also applies to Documentaries where you can send home proxies to production from day one of a two week shoot - all manner of uses open up BUT the proxies don't have code!!!!!!! :(.

Best

Tim Maloney
Managing Director
tim@axisfilms.com.au

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 23, 2009 at 3:57:54 pm

I would imagine that with Mxf4mac, you could email the mxf structure minus the video and audio content. The code and metadata would still be in tact via the XML and then when you arrive with the real footage, you can relink to the full res. Once you get mxf4mac, contact them and propose your workflow.

Return to posts index

Arthur Aldrich
on Aug 20, 2009 at 10:41:02 am

I saw a technology preview of a wifi enabled camera with live metadata at NAB.

It used a usb wifi adapter, but was not a firmware update for existing cameras. Needs to be built into new cameras.

No word on time frame.

-
Art Aldrich
OTEK TV
Leader, NJFCPUG
http://www.njfcpug.org
http://www.otek.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]