FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting LED billboard

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Taryn Kosviner
Shooting LED billboard
on Aug 15, 2009 at 6:22:05 pm

I recently shot footage of an advertisement on a very large LED billboard. I showed up to the gig to find that the video image was mostly a completely white background, with some images and text in black and color. I recorded the images as best I could, but the detail in the text and images (since the detailing was quite fine) was totally blown out by the surrounding bright white light of the background. I've been asked to go back and reshoot the billboards, and was hoping someone could advise me about how best to capture the bright white background without losing the detail in the text to glare etc. I thought possibly some kind of lens filter to bring down the whites?

Thanks,
tk

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Shooting LED billboard
on Aug 15, 2009 at 11:59:38 pm

What camera are you using. Can you set zebras on it? Can you get your hands on a waveform monitor?

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 2 (FCP 6.0.5, Comp 3.0.5, DVDSP 4.2.1, Color 1.0.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Taryn Kosviner
on Aug 16, 2009 at 1:10:44 am

Yes, although I've never used one.

Return to posts index

Taryn Kosviner
on Aug 16, 2009 at 1:11:59 am

Am using HVX200

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 16, 2009 at 11:10:37 am

HVX won't help you much in that case- you'd want a monitor with a built-in waveform/vectorscope. Also having some control over the contrast and brightness of the LED billboard would be ideal. Otherwise, don't expect miracles.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Aug 16, 2009 at 5:12:27 pm

I'd also put some additional filters in feint of lens.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 16, 2009 at 9:17:37 pm

I agree. A soft contrast filter should help you.

Return to posts index

Marion Laney
on Aug 16, 2009 at 10:14:23 pm

Can you link to a video still of what you see?

Also, if you can do a locked off camera position, shoot the screen with several exposures (bracketing) and see if the editor can help with combining the best of the various combination's.

Marion Laney
Director-DP-sometimes Editor
ideaWercs, inc.
Atlanta, Ga. USA
Producing in HD&35mm&SD
Food Network series "Good Eats" and others.

Return to posts index

Marion Laney
on Aug 16, 2009 at 10:18:47 pm

I second the LowCon filter. It should help but under exposing will probably be the way to go in any case.

Marion Laney
Director-DP-sometimes Editor
ideaWercs, inc.
Atlanta, Ga. USA
Producing in HD&35mm&SD
Food Network series "Good Eats" and others.

Return to posts index

Taryn Kosviner
on Aug 18, 2009 at 12:32:53 am

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I shot a test using an roscoe ND gel over the lens (.9 around 2pm and .6 towards the end of day) and it worked really well. I should probably find a more optically sound permanent solution, but it was okay for now.

Thanks again!
tk

Return to posts index

Bryan DiCerb
on Aug 21, 2009 at 3:06:30 pm

ND doesn't seem like it would do much to me other than give you more latitude on the iris. My first thought and someone mentioned it already is shoot your shots twice at different iris settings and mask it in post.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]