FORUMS: list search recent posts

Archiving P2: Use Final Cut or P2 CMS?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al Williamson
Archiving P2: Use Final Cut or P2 CMS?
on Aug 12, 2009 at 7:11:47 pm

We recently acquired a Panasonic HPX-300 and I'm trying to get a handle on archiving footage shot with the camera. We will be using the camera to shoot multiple projects over a myriad of days/time-- and herein lies my concern. The plan is to bring the footage in on a daily basis, transferring it from the P2 card(s) to the media drive. I know I can access the footage from Final Cut using Log and Transfer and while doing so, rename it to match the need, etc. And I'm aware that, if need be, I can re-capture the footage if I happen to accidently erase the FCP transcoded material by using batch capture.

However, my ultimate goal would be to create an archive of all this footage that I can go to when I need a shot of that cow in the field that was shot two years ago. That's where I'm thinking about using Panasonic's P2 Content Management System software (P2 CMS) but I'm wondering should I consider using the P2 CMS software first and create my archive database to access via Final Cut? I'm thinking it would allow me the ability to name and label the footage in such a way that allows the database to search actual P2 footage (and just not Apple Quicktime that FCP will un-wrap it into). Then perhaps I could physically archive the footage off the media drives to Blu-ray optical discs.

Perhaps there is a book or DVD that can help in this? I've looked over the CMS manual and while most of it makes sense, there are areas that I'm unsure of-- like the difference between "How to back up P2 contents" vs "How to archive P2 contents" (it looks like archive removes the media from the storage device). Any helpful suggestions or directions will be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Archiving P2: Use Final Cut or P2 CMS?
on Aug 12, 2009 at 10:04:35 pm

Checkout this link at Imagine Products. It's a database program that could be used with an LTO drive. http://www.imagineproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&pro...

Info about MXF-aware LTO drive http://blog.digitalcontentproducer.com/briefingroom/2007/04/16/quantum-anno...

Quantum LTO Brochure http://www.quantum.com/pdf/DS00336.pdf

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 2 (FCP 6.0.5, Comp 3.0.5, DVDSP 4.2.1, Color 1.0.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Tom Chartrand
Re: Archiving P2: Use Final Cut or P2 CMS?
on Aug 13, 2009 at 8:26:42 pm

Absolutely check out imagine products. Their HD-Log and ShotPutPro products can automatically offload and also back-up to a Primera Blu-Ray disk burner. I back up to a RAID-1 drive in the field and come back to offload in my studio.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]